Losing wingmen in game setup :(

Stalin's Organ

I've found I sometimes lose a wingman when a game doesn't setup properly.

Typically I start a game, the dogfight screen appears, sometimes with the aircraft in place sometimes without, but then nothing further happens.

So I shut down the screen (X), it asks me if I want to exit, I press yes, again nothing happens.

I use task master to shut down the dogfight, it comes back with a "DiF is not responding" at which I end the task.

When I go back I sometimes find my wingman has gone - disappeared without trace. The leader still has his experience, etc, but I have to recruit a new wingman.

Win 98SE, 512mb Ram, 2.8GHz P4

Radeon 9200SE 128mb

[ August 30, 2005, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Stalin's Organ ]

I'm not sure what's causing your game to lock up, but I think I know why you're losing your wingman. The server doesn't know why you disconnected from the game. It could be due to a legitimate loss of connection (as in your case), but it could also be due to a player who doesn't like the way the battle is going and decides to close it down.

In order to discourage players from quitting in the middle of a game, the server will perform a normal bailout check on the pilots who lost connection, with the normal consequences for failure. If you fail the check and have an Escape Death skill available, then that will be used up. But if you don't have the Escape Death skill, then the pilot is toast.

now that's what I call an interesting disincentive!! smile.gif

If I hang around on the non-responsive dogfight screen long enough it comes up with "connection lost", but still has to be ctrl-alt-del'ed out of to close down.

Note that this is all occuring before the dogfight has started - the sequence freezes with "wingman" highlighted on the 1st bound.

This seems rather harsh - I know I've lost a good leader that way, in spite of the fact that he had passed his bailout check before I disconnected, and another because the game didn't start properly. Wouldn't it be fairer for a bot to take over the position?

In a multi-player game, the AI does take over for the player who lost connection. However, it still imposes an additional bailout check at the end of the mission. This was done to discourage players from intentionally bailing out of the game, but we'll keep an eye on it. If it appears to be too harsh and occurring too frequently, we can can reevaluate it.

Some other oddies - I've got some pilots who seem to be missing experience - eg a leader who had 54 total experience, but no abilities and no available experience to spend. Maybe he was one of hte former wingmen who's leader bought it when hte connection was lost - but I don't remember having any wingmen with 54 experience!!

Another who had 38 - a wingman - but no abilities and 30 to spend.

When a leader dies, the wingman is supposed to get promoted to leader, and all his wingman skills are supposed to get cashed in for XP so he can purchase leader skills.

There is some kind of bug in that process, because sometimes the wingman skills don't get cashed in, and you end up with a leader who still has wingman skills. I'm still trying to track down the source of that bug.

Thanks - doesn't quite cover the wingman with 38 exp but only 30 to spend tho' - he seems to have lost 8 along the way somewhere :(

Is htere a list of that effects teh skills have somewhere? I dont' see it in the help file & there are things like "Take the lead" I'd quite like to try out