nVidia blues

If there was one thing I wish BTS would work on, it's the nVidia incompatibilities. Arguably they're the most common and popular video cards out there, and out of the many games I own, CM is the only one which requires old drivers.

And now those have failed me. I rebuilt my machine the other day and the "magic formula" which worked under the previous install -- the old 6.50 driver and a few miscellaneous settings -- doesn't work now. It's the exact same hardware, essentially the same software installation -- I just dropped a larger HDD in there -- and now I'm toast. And now I'm facing probably long hours of just screwing around until something works.

I want CM2 as badly as the next CM junkie, but I'd gladly suffer a delay of a couple weeks while they clean up whatever's going on with D3D and/or nVidia.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

I use the 3.65 drivers with no probs. I can email if u like.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should have said I'm on Win2k smile.gif

There aren't any drivers that work properly with CM for Win2k. Yes, I know about the "force anti-aliasing in all applications" work-around, but how do I do this on an original TNT which doesn't do anti-aliasing?

Well, I find this all kinda funny. I have usually just stayed with the original manufacture's drivers. I don't get into those Detonators drivers. With my last card, a TNT2, I stuck with the latest Diamond Viper driver from like Feb. 2000. With my new Geforce 2 GTS I just use the drivers that came with the thing and everything works fine.

In almost all cases, the "original" drivers ARE the nVidia drivers. Virtually all of the manufacturers just slap their own name on the nVidia code and ship it. Diamond was definitely in this category. In many instances even the file sizes are identical.

The two noteworthy exceptions are Elsa and Creative, and only Elsa makes significant changes to the hardware in comparison to nVidia reference cards. I have an Elsa DDR in my other machine and the Detonator 11.0 drivers work great on it. My wife uses it for Maya rendering, and if the ponderous and oh-so-sensitive Maya likes it, it's difficult to make a good excuse for CM's failings in this area.

There are very real and significant performance gains to be realized by most of the newer Detonator drivers for GeForce owners (but generally not for TNT owners).

As far as I can tell, CM alone has problems, and I don't find it all kinda funny. I find it painful to watch my fast machine and fast video card jerk around slowly when I know I have a perfectly good driver sitting there that is 18 months newer which only CM refuses to use properly.

For what it's worth (in reference to Skorpion's post), I was running Win2K previously and I'm running it now, and the 6.50 drivers did actually work very well in the previous install. I suspect it's something left over from a newer driver, actually, so I'll have to install a couple of 7.X's, 10.X, 11.0, and then drop back to 6.50 and keep my fingers crossed.

I have the same exact problem. I have a brand new computer, with W2K, apparently DX8, an ASUS V7700GeForce2GTS with 32MB. All other functions seem to work well, but when I try to use CM, I get abysmal graphics.

I called ASUS, and they wanted me to replace the installed driver (which turned out to be an nVidia detonator 6.5) with their own driver, which came with the CD. So that's what I did. Then, as I did the reboot, the computer refused to boot up! It took me a full day to figure out I had to F8/safe boot. Once I did this, W2K has a very nice feature that you can select the previously successful configuration. Now I'm back to where I was before.

I guess I'll never be able to play CM. Unless they work on a fix.

At the suggestion of my computer's builder, GamePC, I downloaded and installed the latest GeForce3 beta dricer, 12.40. It is backward compatible with my card.

Pretty much the same result. However, there was a little anomaly. When I called up CM, there was a CM screen, with a message telling me I needed to place the CD in the drive, which I had forgotten. That screen actually looked pretty good, and when I put in the CD and hit the button again, I went to the select screen, which also looked good. I selected the tutorial, and the units and map looked OK. At least until I selected one to place somewhere, then I saw some poor fuzzy graphics on the placement gizmo, including the letters. Until that time everything, including the letters at the top of the screen were OK.

I backed out and deleted my preferences, then went back in again. Lousy graphics all the way, unreadable and unplayable. I kept selecting lesser and lesser resolutions, and it never got better.

I'm at a loss.

The part that really gets on my nerves is, this exact same hardware (excepting the HDD) worked fine earlier. I know quite a lot about machine configuration and that kind of thing, and I keep my installed base of software relatively light, and because of my background and the kind of development I often do, I'm very aware of the changes made by different apps.

This is the actual source of my frustration. Bugs will happen, but in my opinion this is one that is prevalent enough and affects such a well-known and commonplace config that it just grates on my nerves.

You can usually find all the latest Detonator drivers here:

http://www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com/Drivers.htm

TNT users shouldn't install anything after Detonator 2. The Detonator 3 drivers move too far towards GeForce2 and will slow down your TNT.

It is also being suggested that GF2 owners avoid some of the absolute latest GF3 Detonators for the same reason. I went as far as Detonator 11.0 and saw speed gains, however. YMMV.

I'm running win2k and have a geforce 256. I've tried every driver I could find and none work satisfactorily to eliminate graphics problems such as invisible text. Forcing anti aliasing does not help either.

To make it worse, I can never bring CM back when minimised to the task bar. I get the 'ding of death' and have to restart the game. Anyone else have this problem? If so and you know what causes it please let me know.

In the absence of any quick fix, I agree with the call for a programmed solution even at the expense of CM2 development.

I aired my little rant and I'm pretty sure BTS saw it -- judging how quickly they respond to other threads I'd be amazed if they somehow missed this one. So this will be my last post on the matter, I think. I'm effectively unable to play CM at this point.

You CAN get the GeForce to work under Win2K with CM -- I played it that way for a year, through three different GeForce cards (an Elsa X2, an X2 DDR, and finally a Herc Ultra). It just takes lots of screwing around and blind luck. I suspect some "magic" series of loading newer drivers then reverting back to older ones is part of the trick. I'm trying to re-create the magic forumla today.

It IS possible, just non-obvious, and damned annoying.

OK, did some tinkering, and it helped. Some. I managed to play the tutorial. The remaining problem centers around smudged text. Fortunately, I have a good idea what it says, so I was able to play the game. Then in the results screen, I was unable to read any text concerning casualties, etc. Then I selected back to the map, and voila, I saw the numbers and found out I got the major victory I thought I had.

Man, this thing needs some work from Battlefront.

Just adding my name to the "customers with nVidia problems" list.

I upgraded my Win2k from a Voodoo3 to a $GEForce3$. Happy in all ways but for my CMBO and my wallet! ;)

Invisible text in scenario select and setup; text flicker in game.

So, please include my vote for debug cycles fixing this bug.