Can Windows 98 be the cause of "Lost Host"?

Gunhawk

I am trying everything imaginable to figure out why I am losing my connection to the host after every on-line game. I tried calling Sprint, my DSL provider, and of course they say there is no problem with my data transfer with them and it must be my handshaking with you. So OK. Can that fact that I'm still running Windows 98 be the problem, and if so, why?

Thanks

Gunhawk

Theoretically, any machine that can run the .NET framework should be capable of running the game, but I can't rule out the possibility that a Windows 98 system might have more difficulty than others. The .NET framework can be kind of greedy when it comes to RAM, and the later operating systems like Windows 2000 and XP tend to do a better job of managing RAM.

How much RAM does your system have? Do you notice a "slowing down" of the computer as the game progresses? If so, it may be an indication that there is no available RAM which is causing slower response times. Just a thought.

Generally poor networking robustness on the part of the program is probably the real issue. I time out after about 15 seconds if the game hasn't started. Makes it tough to get into a 2 vs 2. Other people seem to have similar but not identical issues.