When someone dives down/up to you...

securityguard

...can you not use defensive cards?

It seems like when someone dives up to me, he can use maneuver cards with impunity. Are scissor cards only used on the offensive? In other words, can I only use scissor cards when I target something, and not when I'm being targeted (unless he uses scissors first)? I haven't really noticed, but it also seems like tight turns don't work when they dive on you. Maybe it's a figment of my imagination.

Scissor cards can be used offensively only when your leader is disadvantaged. This can be countered by a scissors or ace card. If not countered, you will jump from disadvantaged to advantaged right away.

Defensively, scissors are only good as counters against a tight turn. They do not work against maneuver cards. So if your opponent maneuvers against you, you have to first play a tight turn. If the opponent plays a tight turn in response, you can then play a scissors card.

Martin

[ August 11, 2005, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: bartbert ]

Originally posted by securityguard:

...can you not use defensive cards?

It seems like when someone dives up to me, he can use maneuver cards with impunity. Are scissor cards only used on the offensive? In other words, can I only use scissor cards when I target something, and not when I'm being targeted (unless he uses scissors first)? I haven't really noticed, but it also seems like tight turns don't work when they dive on you. Maybe it's a figment of my imagination.

I wasn't sure, but it sounded like part of your question was whether there was any way you could play cards to prevent your opponent from climbing up to your level, or diving down to your level. If so, the answer is No, you cannot prevent that from happening. The sequence of play is:

1. Wingman plays cards

2. Change Altitude

3. Leader plays cards

4. Discard

5. Draw

During the Change Altitude step, you can go up or down by one level, and there's nothing that anyone can do to stop that from happening. If you are Disadvantaged or Tailed when you change altitude, your opponent can follow you, but he cannot prevent the altitude change.