More complete help?

Paul968

Am I being thick, or is the help incomplete? I know it's a beta, but there is nothing to tell me things are missing so I have to assume all the information I need is there. I never played the card game and I keep finding things I don't understand but there is no help for - what each card does, how wingmen work, how to follow when your opponent changes altitude (and why it costs 2 cards), etc. I could go on, but this is making the experience much harder than it should be. I am picking stuff up from various places but surely the help should explain the basic mechanics?

On the positive side, the game has potential, especially the way the pilots gain experience, although I'd like to see some more differentiation between the aircraft strengths and weaknesses.

Paul

The answer can be somewhat complicated. If you are climbing during your own turn (during the Change Altitude phase) it only costs one card to climb.

If you are Tailing your opponent when he changes altitude, it still only costs one card to follow him when he climbs.

If you are Advantaged on your opponent when he changes altitude, it costs one additional card to follow him, so if he climbs, you must discard 2 cards to follow him.

If you are Advantaged or Tailing your opponent and he plays a Vertical Roll card that you cannot counter, it will cost you one additional card than normal to follow him. So if you are Advantaged and he plays a Vertical Roll that you cannot counter, and he climbs, you would have to discard 3 cards to follow him. Very expensive.

To make things more complicated, there are skills that can alter the cost to change altitude. The Zoom Climb skill subtracts one from the cost to climb, for example.

I have played (or rather started) about 10 game now and I am more puzzled than at the start.

The AI seems to have an infinite number of cards, most of the time I have only 2??? Why am I not drawing?

Why is the AI able to play more cards than me? I do not understand. I was really looking forward to this game, but so far it is incomprehensible.

The game starts - I am not able to play any cards. Then its the computers turn, he plays like 4 cards and shoots me down...

Initially I was rather confused too, but I found reading things like the after action report to be quite helpful. This along with other threads like the 'musings on basic strategy helped me fill in some of the gaps, so maybe they may be worth a look?

From what I can see, the demo in it's current state is much more suited to those who already know the card game. Hopefully when Dan has updated the manual then it will be easier for those totally new to the game to pick it up.

Paul

This was my original point Moon - it's not clear where the rules are or that the help is not complete. I think a simple notice at the main website explaining that you need to look at the overview etc, and that the current help does not have all the rules would help a lot.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul968:

This was my original point Moon - it's not clear where the rules are or that the help is not complete. I think a simple notice at the main website explaining that you need to look at the overview etc, and that the current help does not have all the rules would help a lot.

Paul

That is true about the help being less-than-obvious. It's screen gets buried by the game screen when you start, but it's there. There is also a help button within the game screen somewhere IIRC.

At any rate, sounds like the full manual will be plenty fat.

Seconding the suggestion about reading the AAR at wargamer.com. I never played the card game and the AAR helped quite a bit, especially with strategy tips.

All that said, I've flown about 50 missions and I still get baffled just about every mission about what's going on "under the hood", but I'm confident the manual shall reveal all.