The Damn Demo !!!

Skolman

Originally posted by Skolman:

Sorry, but when the bleep* the Demo will be available ?!

I was under the impression that it has been ready for months now, and that the developers were just sitting on it and waiting.

"For what?" you may ask...

Well, I'm guessing they've been waiting for someone to post a nicely worded, polite and eloquent inquiry as to when it might be made available.

I'm also guessing that demanding to know where the F it is ain't going to get it released any sooner, and as an added bonus might even keep the devs from dropping you a hint as to when it might be ready.

Get my drift?

Harv

*Original message content has been formatted to fit your screen.

Originally posted by Skolman:

Sorry, but when the F(I have limited communication skills and instead of presenting my request for info in an adult manner am forced to rely on the lowest common form of speech in order to be understood)K the Demo will be available ?!

When it's ready?

Skolman,

Thank you for the enthusiasm over seeing the beta demo!

Please understand that all the people who are working on the game would like nothing better than to release the demo and get the ball rolling. We really like what we have developed and want the world to see our efforts.

But, we also need to make sure we do as good of a job as possible so as to present the game in a good light.

I'm sure that you, and most of the other people reading this, can think of a game that had promise and would have been great if only the developer had put a little more time into getting it right.

That is what we are trying to do. We could have released the demo weeks ago and it would have been 'okay'. But, we're not shooting for 'okay', we're shooting for 'great'. In the end, you and the other people will be the final judge as to whether or not we've met this goal.

Dan Verssen:

Great response. The first line almost made me fall out of my chair. :D Did you mean that seriously, sarcastically, or a little of both?

By the way, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE 'GETTING IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME' philosophy (as much as that can be achieved). I can think of many companies which make games and patch them ad nauseum. That stinks. BFC has done a great job of keeping that stuff to a minimum and it is a sign of their serious attention to excellence across the board. I can wait for the best possible product (though, admittedly, with my feet tapping anxiously at about 90 taps per minute. ;)

Hi Colonel J Lee,

You can obtain some of the original games from GMT games here:

http://www.gmtgames.com/gmt0g.htm#df

Unfortunately, most of the games and even their replacement components are almost out of stock.

Only Zero! and Corsairs and Hellcats have stock readily available.

You can also find second hand copies through:

www.boardgamegeek.com

and eBay, of course.

I looked in local gaming stores in Toronto, one of which had copies of every game in the series.

Colonel J Lee,

Thank you for your interest in the DIF series. Kozure did a great job of pointing you in the right direction to find copies of the card game. Thank you Kozure!

Believe it or not, my response to Skolman's post was actually pretty serious. The wording could have been a touch more family oriented, but he did sum up what was on his mind pretty quickly and clearly, so he gets bonus points for that. smile.gif

On a more serious note, thank you for recognizing that we are trying to 'get it right'. Believe me, how ever much you guys want the game to come out, we want it to come out just bad, if not more. But, as you said, we need to make sure we do the best job possible.

We have been working on the game for a couple years, and we don't want people saying, "If only they had put in another month..."

To give a brief update of where the game is now...

The game coding itself is 99.9% done. There are a handful of last minute bugs, but other than that, it is done. We've even managed to throw in some extra features along the way. What we're working on now is the server and online issues. We're looking into the best way to meld the game software, with server/online software, with the hardware/services offered by internet providers, all into a stable/seemless package.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry for the bad language but i do speak in a much uglier way ( at least when i am not at work)... again sorry for that !

...i see that you will publish the game when it´s perfectly done but offering a demo earlier would be nice to give us at least some impression and the forum users could give tips of what to do better ...

Cheers Skolman

Hello Skolman,

actually there was supposed to be a feature article on the Wargamer sometime ago already that shows some of the game mechanics and provides more information about the game, but it appears that its publication has been delayed for quite a while now. Not sure why. Hopefully it'll go up in the next few days.

Martin