Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Any chance for a New AAR?

The forum is really quiet and a new AAR would be appreciated by those looking forward to the forthcoming release of SC2.

PS: Has the AI entered beta testing? and any hints on what the AI scripts can do?

[ February 11, 2006, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Sure, there's always a chance. tongue.gif

DesertDave and I played another TCP/IP game through 1942 since the last AAR I posted. We wanted to try a few adjustments to address some issues, but it's hard to tell if it's the campaign itself or just bad strategy/luck.

The AI is sort of in beta now. I can't comment on where it is and what's left to do, but just understand that's it's still in development. When it's no longer "in development" and SC2 goes gold, you'll definitely get an announcement, yes? Soon. ;)

As for hints, I'll repeat what was provided previously. There are four different AI scripts to handle diplomacy, planning, purchases and research. Those are in addition to the generic AI, which hopefully will prove to be capable and challenging in its own right. And I can't emphasize enough that between the generic AI, AI scripts, event scripts, game options and difficulty settings, players should have exciting games to look forward to. :cool:

[ February 12, 2006, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: pzgndr ]

pzgndr,

Can you give us an idea of how a modder might manipulate the AI scripts to provide for different actions?

What I mean is what fields would we have to fill in and what are the choices available for those fields.

Of course I would not want you to violate the NDA, so if it is similar to the previous thread that you addressed the scripted events in, then forget my request, we have our answer.

It's too early. When things get more solid AND if Hubert allows some specifics to be posted, maybe. Besides, until I have a better chance to experiment with these scripts and understand them myself, I'd be very reluctant to share my incomplete knowledge. That's a hint by the way - that these scripts are NOT shallow and trivial. smile.gif

Any insight on the difficulty levels?

Will there be levels above export? and how do they change the game?

Does the AI gain access to more routines/strategies at higher levels?

Does the game offer a random diplomacy and/or tech bonus for the AI at higher difficulty levels?

Finally, does the game AI have only one personality - as SC1 did - or does it have multiply personalities? - ie will it try different strategies - ie for Axis: Naval Focus, Russia, Focus, Conquer the Middle East Focus, Early Russia Attack, Conquer the World, etc.

PS: Late March release?. That's mighty close to April Fool's Day. :D

Gents, I just cannot comment about AI stuff in any detail at this point and I will not speculate about release date. That is for Hubert and Battlefront to decide. Except for some minor issues, we've got a playable game right now for hotseat, pbem and network games. And that was the primary intent of posting the previous AAR - to demonstrate that the game is quite playable and enjoyable in its current state. It will continue to be enhanced for release and after release, whenever that is. Soon, right? ;)

[ February 12, 2006, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: pzgndr ]