Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The Submarine War.

Hi all.

I recently got this game & played as the Allies.

For the most part the rules seem to work just fine however subs don't seem to work.

I started off chasing the axis subs around the sea lanes but quickly learned that it's possible to 'blockade' the axis sub fleet by building a wall of cruisers - even battleships 2 tiles apart. When the subs move adjacent they stop & have to fight.

This seems unrealistic in that the whole concept of submarine warfare is stealth - they can go around enemy combatants or avoid them at their leisure.

I am interested in any comments on what others think & also is there a modification to this that anyone can suggest?

Stu.

Welcome Stuuk.

I agree (I think we all do) subs should be harder to find in certain modes. Like stealth mode.

Although even underwater subs were easily spotted by air because in those days they could not dive deep enough to hide their silhouette. Although ships should have a much harder time.

I started off chasing the axis subs around the sea lanes but quickly learned that it's possible to 'blockade' the axis sub fleet by building a wall of cruisers - even battleships 2 tiles apart. When the subs move adjacent they stop & have to fight.

This seems unrealistic in that the whole concept of submarine warfare is stealth - they can go around enemy combatants or avoid them at their leisure.

Take Norway, install Bomber or AF to clear.

The North Sea approaches were blockaded pretty much just the way you mention. Along with a few million mines. Remember, the subs of the time did have to come up once in awhile.

It's nice to see Hubert is changing it though. What exactly are you changing Hubert? A chance subs won't automatically "stick"?