¡HELP! ...a problem with CMBB

First of all, an affectionate greeting to all the participants of this forum.

I am Pedro, a Spanish user of CM .

My problem with CMBB is that I suffer (( mainly when there is greater number of units and grafical complexity in the map)) of nomadic and uncontrollable behavior of the mouse pointer ; cut sound with " parasitic " noise (( mainly when rotating the image and, consequently,

to rotate the sound )) and diminution accused of framerate.

Even lowering the resolution to 800x600 ; diminishing the level of grafic detail

(without trees , etc...) and eliminating ambient sound I have been able to solve it, although

the problem becomes, certainly, less well-known.

After reading enough messages, on the matter, in this forum, I have left many doubts.....

Nvidia drivers? IRQ`s? SBAudigy drivers? amount of video memory? ....Even , I read a post of which , with a configuration like mine , it makes run perfectly.

He is well-known that CMBB has elevated the level of demand of tecnic resources, but it seems to me

very exaggerated with respect to CMBO...... step to detail the configuration of my computer.

WindowsME; Amd Athlon 700;256 MB RAM (PC100) motherboard EPOX 7KX-A with chipset Via KX 133 (bios updated); motherboard drivers installed: Via 4,37 (AGP and Bus masters); GeForce 256 32 MB with driver Detonator XP 23.11; SBAudigy Player with his original drivers (( I don`t know

the version )) ; 3Com Ethernet 3C905B-TX for my cable modem.

The map of IRQ`s in the starting is the following one :

(( the SBAudigy is in bus PCI nº 3 and the Ethernet in nº 2 ))

IDE controller -14

Serial Bus controller -9

Network controller -11

Multimedia device -5

Serial Bus controller -9

Display controller -10

ACPI controller -9

I thank for much any aid on the matter , to clear my doubts on if , only treats

of lack of resources, (( if this , is true........ can I solve changing the grafic card only ? ))... or it is fault of my configuration ....what is the solution.?

I `m sorry by my bad english .....Thanks for all

Pedro

[ November 13, 2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: surgical ]

Originally posted by surgical:

WindowsME; Amd Athlon 700;256 MB RAM (PC100) motherboard EPOX 7KX-A with chipset Via KX 133 (bios updated); motherboard drivers installed: Via 4,37 (AGP and Bus masters); GeForce 256 32 MB with driver Detonator XP 23.11; SBAudigy Player with his original drivers (( I don`t know

the version )) ; 3Com Ethernet 3C905B-TX for my cable modem.

The map of IRQ`s in the starting is the following one :

(( the SBAudigy is in bus PCI nº 3 and the Ethernet in nº 2 ))

IDE controller -14

Serial Bus controller -9

Network controller -11

Multimedia device -5

Serial Bus controller -9

Display controller -10

ACPI controller -9

I thank for much any aid on the matter , to clear my doubts on if , only treats

of lack of resources, (( if this , is true........ can I solve changing the grafic card only ? ))... or it is fault of my configuration ....what is the solution.?

I `m sorry by my bad english .....Thanks for all

Pedro

Welcome Pedro,

Your english is a helluva lot better than my spanish, no need to apologise!! ;)

Your video card should handle all but the largest CMBB scenarios without any problems. I'd try the 30.82 drivers first. Just run a search(top right corner) for *GeForce drivers*, there has been lots of discussion!

KC

Well, it might simply be that your computer is a little old. 700MHz is pretty slow by today's standards. I don't agree that a GeForce 256 should handle everything fine. It could certainly be part of your problem.

You should first update drivers. Try to get the latest drivers for your sound card (from Creative) and video card (from NVidia). If that doesn't help, something else more serious might be causing the problem, or like I said, maybe it's just too old of a system.

Check the following:

1. Try a 'standard' MS-Mouse driver. Do not use custom mouse pointers, do not use trails, dynamics or other special features of the mouse driver.

2. Update your soundcard drivers and your Nvidia drivers (29.42 works fine).

3. Make sure DirectX 8.1 is installed. If in doubt, reinstall it.

4. If you have some kind of hardware acceleration for your soundcard, try to disable it for testing purposes.

5. Make sure, no other program/task is running in the background (like Virus Scanners, Life-Updaters, etc.)

6. Defragment your partitions.

7. After making changes, but BEFORE starting CMBB, delete the file "Combat Mission BB Prefs" in the CMBB directory.

Good luck

Tankist

Thanks for all the answers...........I`m sorry , Tankist , forgets to mention in post that I use DX 8.1; I fulfill the premises that you comment to me. It will prove with new drivers of Nvidia and SBAudigy like you say me.......

Of all ways, although BeWary is all the right ( my "machine" not this to the height ) , I continue thinking that there is something but that this..................... for example, this post gives that to think me : http://www.battlefront.com/cgibin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003127

Loki and Thin Red Line, make it run well, although certainly with better grafic card...................could I , while

it could not change of processor, to fix it with one better grafic card ?........ What model would recommend me for CMBB?

Thanks to all again, any aid on the matter is welcome........

Pedro

Thanks, Krazy Canuck............ can you give but details me on the configuration of system of your brother ? ....any

detail can help me to correct my configuration.......

By my memory only(he lives a couple hours away);

Windows 98se

PIII 800

Asus Geforce 256 w/64 mbs(30.82 drivers)

SB Live w/current drivers(?)

256 mbs Sdram

Ps2 keyboard and mouse

Samsung 17" monitor

That's the best I can do for now (poor memory:))

I realize this wasn't much help, but I will be talking to him in a few days....I will check back to see how your making out.

'til then, good luck

KC

Thanks.......by the moment , I have decided to extend my RAM to 512 MB PC133 (the one that I `ve actually is PC100) and install a Winfast Geforce4 Ti 4200 with 64 MB; I hope to be able to get out of trouble until the next processor...........in a few days I`ll know............ I cross the fingers......( ¿do you think if this changes are enough for CMBB by the moment ? )

Thanks.......by the moment , I have decided to extend my RAM to 512 MB PC133 (the one that I `ve actually is PC100) and install a Winfast Geforce4 Ti 4200 with 64 MB; I hope to be able to get out of trouble until the next processor...........in a few days I`ll know............ I cross the fingers......( ¿do you think if this changes are enough for CMBB by the moment ? )

Hi,

As I understand it CM(both) are very cpu dependant, but your definately headed in the right direction.

One thing though, turn off the EAX in the Audigy, I've found no difference im CM, it's great for some games (Dungeon Siege comes to mind) but of little value(if any) here!

Those changes will help for sure!!

KC

Thanks for the aid......... ¿can you give me more details on how to

deactivate function EAX of the Audigy?....¿is enough deactivate all effects in EAX panel control?

Greetings

Surgical,

To disable EAX, useing Win 98, and I've kicked it off my taskbar, so I have to: Start/settings/control panel/AudioHQ/EAXcontrolpanel/EAXgames/disable

follow these steps, it's done

Luck

KC