Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The new Nvidia 7800GTX!

When you buy a new Vid-card-out of the blue

a new one has come out and it's powerful

but I hope it comes in AGP not just

PCI-E here's is the specs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GPU Geforce 7800GTX

Core clock 430MHz

PixelPipelines 24

Memory Clock 1200MHz

Memory Size 256MB

Memory Interface 256-bit

Memory Type GDDR3

DirectX DirectX 9

OpenGL OpenGL 2.0

DVI 2

TV-Out HDTV/S-Video Out

VIVO No

TV Tuner No

RAMDAC 400 MHz

Max Resolution 2048x1536@85Hz

SLI Supported Yes

Operating Systems Supported Windows 2000/XP

:eek:

According to this source, that answer would be "No."

Some of the tests show the card to be on par with dual SLI-6800 Ultra platforms - but only at super-high resolutions. In fact, the one good thing to glean from this release is that SLI hassles probably won't be necessary. I mean, jeez, some of the comparison tests they're throwing around with the 7800GTX involve 2048x1536 - how many of ya'll's monitors even support that kind of resolution? Last year, I bought an NEC FP2141SB-BK, which is a high-res "22 CRT, and I play CMAK at 1280x1024 with max AA/AF (via a eVGA FX5900 vid card) which runs great. I just can't see (no pun intended) playing any game at more than 1600x1200, to be honest. So my next system build will have a good PCIe vid card (be it 7800 or ATI's next offering, in 6 months time) and I won't be fretting the SLI stuff.

I purchased 2 GF7800GTXs and SLi'ed them on an ASUS A8N motherboard with AMD64 3700 CPU. It absolutely rocks, especially as I have a Dell 24" 2405 TFT and play all games at 1920x1200 with full AA. This replaces my 3.2GHz P4 with single 6800GT card, which struggles at 1920x1200 without AA.

I play FAR Cry with HDR enabled and get about 20 FPS (which is playable), not bad considering 2 6800 gives you about 10 FPS. With no HDR, I can run Far Cry at 1920x1200 with everything full on, and it does'nt even flinch.HDR does impact even the GF7800s.

This system is a bit of an overkill for CMBO, CMBB, CMAK but I have noticed that the AMD64 Athlon is a better processor than the Pentium 4. Some huge battles in CMBB now take on average 1 min to process the AI, as opposed to 2 mins on the P4.

Yes the AMD 64 series is an impressive

chip and intel doing allot blocking

towards AMD like Dell-well my next rig

I'd like a AMD-64X2 dual core-with a 7800GTX.

I currently have P-4 -3.0 Ghz northwood

1-Gig Corsair pc-3200 dual-channel ram

Asus 6800GT 256Mb I run Brother in arms

with all visaul goodies at 1280x1024 at

70 FPS.