Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Game Freezes 45 seconds into mission

Help. I am trying to play CM (full install).

I have a AMDK62-400 w/128MB RAM, Graphics Blaster Voodoo2. [Glide3x and DirectX 7.0a] Everything goes fine in the game until I start a mission, then the 3D engine loads up and I am in control for about 45 to 90 seconds and then the whole system freezes up. The only way to get out of it is to hard-reset the computer. The Gold Demo seems to work just fine. I suspect Corrupt Glide files, but no other games seem to be affected.

Guest Madmatt

The game doesn't use Glide. It is a Direct 3D game.

Do you have the newest 3dfx driver files? If not then I would suggest grabbing them from 3Dfx's website. Also a reinstall of Direct 7.0a sometimes helps issues like this.

Madmatt

Does the Gold Demo (v. 1.02) still work fine for you (if it's still on your computer) ? The biggest difference between the Full version and the Gold Demo is the sampling rate of the audio (44kHz vs. 22kHz). Have you tried disabling the audio within CM to see if this makes a difference (Shift + S through the options) ? What sound card do you have ? What is your primary video card (2D) ?

Most problems with CM tend to be with the video, so as Madmatt said you'll want to check your 3dfx drivers for the latest versions (I would suggest getting them from Creative Labs first and then possibly 3dfx).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Does the Gold Demo (v. 1.02) still work fine for you (if it's still on your computer) ? The biggest difference between the Full version and the Gold Demo is the sampling rate of the audio (44kHz vs. 22kHz). Have you tried disabling the audio within CM to see if this makes a difference (Shift + S through the options) ? What sound card do you have ? What is your primary video card (2D) ?

Most problems with CM tend to be with the video, so as Madmatt said you'll want to check your 3dfx drivers for the latest versions (I would suggest getting them from Creative Labs first and then possibly 3dfx).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I downloaded the latest 3dfx drivers as well as DirectX 7.0a and I still am having the same problem... I went back and tried the Gold Demo again and it doesn't work either. The only application that's been installed since the gold demo last worked was Baldur's Gate 2. I also should mention that I did install the 1.05 patch and it did not make any difference.

Guest Madmatt

So did the demo USE to work? Or did you not really ever play it enough to see for sure?

I am wondering if something has changed in your system to cause these lockups and was curious since you said that the demo now crashes as well but apparently was stable before.

Some other things to try is to go ahead and delete the Combat Mission Prefs file in the install directory and run in a lower resolution (you will need to bump down the desktop in order to do this).

Also you may want to reduce the amount of Direct 3D acceleration currently set and that is accessed through the Direct X control panel (dxdiag.exe)

See if either of these steps reduce or eliminate the crashes and let us know.

Thanks!

Madmatt

eckerww - Madmatt mentioned running at a lower resolution, what resolution are you running at right now ? I believe that the Voodoo 2 series maxes out at 800 x 600 for 3D rendering (anything higher I believe will use your base video card for CM's display). I would suggest trying to run at 640 x 480 first (by deleting your CM prefs file and selecting that resolution).

Thanks to everyone who submitted suggestions on this problem. I was eventually able to correct the problem. What was required is that I had to re-install the initial drivers that came with my 3D Blaster V2. Then I reinstalled DirectX 7 and it seemed to fix the problem. As an initial fix, I went through all of the video modes until Primary Display or Software Rendering was displayed and then hit okay. However the gameplay was far too slow to be tolerable.

Your primary display is not your Voodoo 2 card, that is why the game play is slow. If you want to try out the Voodoo, you'll need to delete your prefs file again and try a resolution that doesn't mention it is the "Primary Display". Other than your Voodoo 2 do you know what video chip is in your computer ? Apparently it isn't very high performance in the 3D arena.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you're already using the Voodoo 2 or if you're still using the Primary Display for CM.