Nah, MM, there's something amiss w/ 1.02

Mad Matt,

After playing this wargame for 2 1/2 years now, (and proud to say the only continous computer game I've engaged in for anything longer than a month), there's definately a 1.02 bug. Check the audio stuff first. My system was rock-solid until this patch - hell, a few times, my roommate would print on a networked printer through me while playing the game - causing a graphical slowdown, but never a crash.

I have been through ALL reasonable Nvidia (4600 Ti, Win 98SE) drivers, 29.42, 30.87, 41.09 etc. I was using 41.09 when I downloaded the patch, and now after 10 - 30 minutes, I hear that Windows "Ting!" and we're frozen.

The only reason I protest is that I have changed NOTHING. Even the most recent anti-virus update says "clean". And there's too many other people starting to report the same thing.

Thanks for your time.

Hpt. Lisse

Well, to date your the only person I see reporting this specific issue so I am not sure where else you see this being reported by others.

Can you give me more info about the lockups please?

Does this occur in all game modes (Solo, PBEM, TCP/IP)?

If in multiplay, are you always playing the same person?

Does this occur on one specific battle or any battle you play?

Do you have any other software running in the background like for example an instant messenger package?

IS your computer an Athlon powered system that uses the VIA chipset? If so have you downloaded and installed the latest 4in1 drivers available here?

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Crashes that occur after a specific amount of time passes are very often heat related. A simple test is to remove your computer case and see if it seems more stable. Since you said the crashes did not occur before the patch that isn't as likely as something else but its a worth the effort to make sure.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Hpt. Lisse:

Mad Matt,

After playing this wargame for 2 1/2 years now, (and proud to say the only continous computer game I've engaged in for anything longer than a month), there's definately a 1.02 bug. Check the audio stuff first. My system was rock-solid until this patch - hell, a few times, my roommate would print on a networked printer through me while playing the game - causing a graphical slowdown, but never a crash.

I have been through ALL reasonable Nvidia (4600 Ti, Win 98SE) drivers, 29.42, 30.87, 41.09 etc. I was using 41.09 when I downloaded the patch, and now after 10 - 30 minutes, I hear that Windows "Ting!" and we're frozen.

The only reason I protest is that I have changed NOTHING. Even the most recent anti-virus update says "clean". And there's too many other people starting to report the same thing.

Thanks for your time.

Hpt. Lisse

have same problem, as posted a few days ago.

only difference: running win2k

no solution found yet

if you find a solution plz mail, thx: yossarian0815@chello.at

good luck

If you're fairly certain that it is just 1.02 that is causing your problems, then I suggest that you extract the 1.01 executable and place that in your CMBB directory (and rename the 1.02 executable). You should be able to keep the Prefs file.

Now see if you get lockups with the 1.01 executable. If you do, then the hardware issues that Madmatt mentioned are most likely your causes.

Alrighty, then. The issue doesn't seem to be a PBEM-only problem, but occurs more frequently in that mode. Here's the PBEM info:

> So far, it's been with the same person - he has a factory 1.02 version, mine is upgraded.

> Different battles, though.

> No IM of any kind running in the BG, or anything else uneeded.

> No heat/OCing/hardware issues. In fact, the same issue has occurred with two completely different mobo/processor setups (though both are KT266 or KT266A chipset boards).

> Regarding the VIA drivers. This problem cropped up while running the 4.45 version drivers (I see the 4.46 were released today.) Currently, I'm running the 4.35 drivers, which are faster and more stable for "older" KT chipset mobos. It is speculated that much of the code additions and optimizations for later releases are for KT333 or KT400 mobos. Here's an article on it:

http://www.fury-tech.com/modules.php?mod_name=Contents&jump=via4in1_compare

> We haven't tried TCP/IP, though I've played many a CMBO head-to-head game without any problems with him.

> I have, in the meantime, re-formatted my HD, re-installed Win98SE, all new drivers and not using any mods (except new senarios). Again, there's always that windows "ting!" when it locks. Sound card is SB live value, newest drivers.

Thank you for answering my post.

Hpt. Lisse

• 3 weeks later...

Yossarian - what vid card/drivers are you employing?

I'm still working the fix - this whole thing has lead down an unbelievably long technical trail of tears. But I finally got tired of messing around with the VIA 4-in-1's (which appear to be the culprit, or their interaction with my GF4600 card) and bought a Epox NForce2 mobo. I wish I'd read about the 43.45's not working before I had installed them, back to the 30.87's I guess...

My poor buddy hasn't got a turn from me in our PBEM game in two weeks now. Arrgghhh!

Hpt. Lisse

• 3 weeks later...