Onboard AGP Video Problem

I have a SiS 630 onboard AGP video with 32 MB RAM allocated to it. The video drivers are up to date as of January this year.

Combat Mission can hardly run at all with this card. (its not really a card but nevermind).

I have DirectX 8.0a

The sypmtoms are very slow unit selection and little blocks appear and dissapear when I move my mouse. Its not playable.

Please help.

thanks

------------------

http://www.derkessel.com/

From what I've seen of the Sis integrated video chipsets they haven't been very good 3D performers (I've tried some 6326, 5598 and 620 video chip(set)s). The Unified Memory Architecture (UMA) that these chipsets use is not fast enough to support many 3D games like CM. They do fine when it comes to 2D support, but seem to lack in 3D performance.

Anything you can do to speed up the memory timing in your CMOS/BIOS setup (and that won't freeze or lockup your computer) will help a little. You may want to check for any BIOS updates to your motherboard (though many of these boards come from PC Chips subsidiaries). Some of these chipsets have some clock speeds for the video that you can raise in the CMOS/BIOS setup (but this might cause some problems). If you need help identifying your motherboard let me know.

Looking at Sis' website, their driver offerings for the 630 chipset are a bit confusing. The initial file is a set of .INFs while the "small" driver set is a much larger download (with far more files in it). If you haven't done so already I'd suggest downloading the "small" driver set AND the AGP driver files.

Sis 630 VGA drivers for Windows:

http://www.sis.com.tw/support/download/630.htm

If you've already done something close to the following then you can ignore this.

REMOVE your current video drivers (use the "uninstaller" if it's recognized in the Add/Remove Programs control panel or as a separate utility with the other Sis programs in the Start Menu). By using the "uninstaller" you should have the appropriate .INF files removed from your system. When the system reboots select "Stardard PCI SuperVGA" as your display device. When all of that has settled, install the Sis AGP driver. After that install the "small" 630 video driver. When that has finished install DirectX 8.0a again (Sis often puts some DirectX files in their video installers, so updating those with the latest DirectX is probably appropriate here).

Assuming all of that has been performed without problems you will now need to check your DirectX settings for the 630 chipset. Go to the Start Menu > Run > type c:\program files\directx\setup\dxdiag and click the OK button to run. This is the DirectX diagnostic (which may be a little slow in loading up). Go to the Display tab and check the DirectX Features section. Preferably you will want all of the these features enabled (which is the case when "disabled" is a button and "enabled" isn't). If a feature is grayed out then the 630 driver doesn't support it or something about DirectX isn't working properly (or there may be a BIOS/CMOS setting that needs to be changed).

You can test each of the features, but it won't give you an absolute indication of your performance.

As for the little blocks that appear and disappear, is this in the main 3D window of the game or is this when you're selecting scenarios, etc. ? This may very well be a problem with the video driver or a possible incompatibility between your mouse driver and your video driver. If you're using a non-Windows provided mouse driver (such as drivers provided by Logitech, etc.), you may want to check for any updates. This occasionally fixes some display problems. Otherwise the most likely culprit is going to be your video driver.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 03-23-2001).]

sorry Phillies Phan,

but from what i know about SiS chipsets and integrated controlers is that they arent verry good for 3D acceleration.. frown.gif

bad news for home users but great for busnesses cause less hardware troubleshooting, from what i know the 630 chipset is more than just a graphic chipset it also controls the audio and i think acts as a south bridge.

a quote from toms Hardware Guide:

What should be evident is that none of these chipsets is a 3d powerhouse and the SiS630 is singularly feeble. Again, don't buy systems based on these chipsets if gaming or high end 3d performance are your important considerations for you.

In overall visual quality, the Aladdin 7 bested the i810E and the SiS630. For instance, both the i810E and the SiS630 suffered intermittent black holes in the sky in the 3dMark Helicopter demo.

for more info heres a link

TOMSHARDWARE

Originally posted by Dogface:

sorry Phillies Phan,

but from what i know about SiS chipsets and integrated controlers is that they arent verry good for 3D acceleration.. frown.gif

bad news for home users but great for busnesses cause less hardware troubleshooting, from what i know the 630 chipset is more than just a graphic chipset it also controls the audio, ethernet or network, and i think acts as a south bridge.

a quote from toms Hardware Guide:

What should be evident is that none of these chipsets is a 3d powerhouse and the SiS630 is singularly feeble. Again, don't buy systems based on these chipsets if gaming or high end 3d performance are your important considerations for you.

In overall visual quality, the Aladdin 7 bested the i810E and the SiS630. For instance, both the i810E and the SiS630 suffered intermittent black holes in the sky in the 3dMark Helicopter demo.

for more info heres a link

TOMSHARDWARE

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

I've already downloaded and installed the drivers from the SiS webpage before posting here. Its somewhat disheartening to find out that my onboard video is not compatible with Combat Mission.

FYI...I have Windows 98 SR2, 128 MB RAM, 32 of that is allocated to Video.

I printed out this page and will follow the directions. Thanks again!

------------------

http://www.derkessel.com/

Guest wwb_99

Take $25. Buy a TNT2 with 32mb of ram. You will be much happier.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.