Scenario "save" and "load" windows messed up

I wrote about this a while back; Madmatt started a correspondence with me but apparently (I'm guessing) couldn't reproduce the problem.

Whenever I go to save or load a scenario that I've designed, the graphics of the save & load screens are messed up: multiple images, if you try to move the window it replicates instead of moving, etc.

Had some time this weekend so, using the CD, I carefully uninstalled and then reinstalled. Even before updating to 1.12, the glitch was there. Upgrading to 1.12 doesn't help. Have never had this problem with CM--any ideas out there?

Was anything changed before this problem started to happen, like video drivers or your DirectX version (assuming you're on a PC) ? The problem you describe sounds like a video driver issue. The dialog box for saving and loading scenarios comes from a standard Windows .DLL (not supplied by BTS). Do you have any other applications that have a similar problem with opening and saving files ? What are you using for a desktop ? You may want to change to a plain, unstretched image or just a colored background to see if this makes any difference.

I recently saw this for the first time this weekend after my Mac had gone to sleep several times with CM, IE, MSOutlook all running in unison. When a new PBEM turn came and I started up CM, it had all kinds or garbage, bad characters, parts of CM interface windows and stuff all over the place. Quitting CM and starting it back up again cured the problem. It happened more than once so now I just kill CM until I need it since it loads so quickly.

Thanks very much to Schrullenhaft and Kmead.

As for restarting, unfortunately everything I've tried has been unsuccessful. I know what you mean about a suddenly transformed garbage graphics screen--had them, and they usually don't survive a restart of the program or reboot at worst.

The thought about the .dll sounds promising--I didn't know CM was accessing Window's files to draw the load/save windows.

I do have a PC--PII 400 vanilla Gateway model. Haven't had this problem with any other program, though, so it seems to me it must at least be an interaction somehow. As for DirectX, maybe it's possible that installing another game did something to DirectX (they all have their own version they want to install, it seems).

Anyway, thanks again to you both. If I find an answer, I'll add it to this thread for others to see.

> Whenever I go to save or load a scenario that I've designed,

> the graphics of the save & load screens are messed up:

> multiple images, if you try to move the window it

> replicates instead of moving, etc.

Try the following ...

Start up Windows.

Right click on an empty place on the Windows desktop. When the deskstop menu appears, select the "properties" menu item. A window titled "Display Properties" should appear.

Left click on the "Effects" tab.

Clear the box labeled "Show window contents while dragging".

If this doesn't help then come back to this point and clear every box in the window.

Please let me know if this helps or not.