Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CM freeze

after long disgust (or fear) i have renewed my vows and tried again in vain to get CM to run. heres my system: athlon 950 on a k7v mobo; 383 mb pc 133 ram; asus geforce ddr with 5.33 drivers; windows me; directx 7.1; diamond monster sound mx400; drivers: updated via 4.125a chipset, asus 5.33, diamond updated drivers. mobo steeings: agp arpeture@64meg; agp and sound on separate irq's; tried agp accel on 2x & 4x; fast writes off; ram spd to auto (3t) and no intellimouse(microsoft standard)no overclocking video/sound directx settings on sound at none, have tried agp on and off... no conflicts in any directx files.

out of room!

the game starts ok, sound was screwed till disabled acceleration, i get the intro music, pick a scenario, then begin to play...could be one minute up to five or so and the screen freezes. the mouse still moves, but i get the windows ding. hit esc and go to desktop. have tried listed settings one after the other and same thing happens. i mean hours of trial and error to set one thing, play, crash, set again, play, crash, set, play, crash. tried a clean install of ME and all drivers (wiped whole HD). AARRRRRGGGHH!

BTW i began with nvidia drivers on the video, then read thread about picky asus drivers. dnloaded all nvidia from 3.xx up to 7.xx tried the scientific method, but maybe im missing something... i am becoming an athlon hater frown.gif the only other game that crashes has been shogun... gave up on that over a month ago & found CBMO. i want to play!

Though I'm not sure it would change anything for you; you may want to try out DirectX 8.

Microsoft's DirectX 8 Download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=25685

Load up the DirectX Diagnostic Tool and go to Display tab > DirectX Features section > disable AGP Texture Acceleration and see if this helps. This functionality may be very similar to DirectX 7.x's AGP setting, but it might work a little differently (probably not, but oh well).

For the ASUS cards I would probably suggest sticking with the ASUS released drivers. I have no idea why (a video BIOS issue ?), but I've heard of some ASUS card owners having problems with the NVidia reference drivers. I would also suggest avoiding the 7.17 and earlier 7.xx series reference drivers (though I hear a 7.29 is coming out). There are some DirectX problems with these drivers that can cause problems in CM.

Harv's links probably give the most details, and his first one mentions the disabling of the AGP Texture Acceleration fixing his particular problem. Some of which you've already tried.

tried dx 8.0 & disabled agp texturing. have also tried dropping agp arpeture with no avail! what about ram chips? i have 3 128meg pc 133 chips, but one is a different manufacturer. this is really a puzzle for me. i was sure to wipe the old nvidia drivers with the format and reinstall of win me. (had win98 se before)... any other ideas?

have even considered a new video card like geforce2... thx for the aid smile.gif

Hi there tank boy.

I once bought a memory DIMM that was bad, and it caused me a lot of headaches. I had finally tracked it down to the memory (after upgrading every other component of my system). After I replaced it, all of my problems went away. I had a few games that would freeze, and others would occasionally do strange things. But, the funny thing was that some apps ran with no problems, and the ones that crashed usually did so at the same point in the app (and I thought RAM was supposedly randomly dished out by Windows!). That is what threw me for so long. I kept thinking the app's needed to be patched. smile.gif

Anyway, my point... you're at an advantage. Simply take out the other two DIMM's and try each one individually with CM. 128MB is plenty for CM, so you won't notice any slowdown from 384MB. If one is bad, take it out of your system. PC133 is very cheap now (with DDR systems coming soon and all), so you could even replace it easily (though 256 should be plenty unless you're running a server). I don't think it matters that the chips are from different manufacturers. As long as your system accepts it, it should work.

Let us know what happens.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

WinME and GeForce-based cards don't seem to be the best combination. Several users here have had problems when they upgraded their systems to WinME from Win98. It's not that the two won't work together, but there seems to be a slightly higher likelihood of problems under WinME.

If your problems aren't solved with the RAM swapping and playing CM is worth the effort for you... I'd suggest going back to Win98SE and trying the latest ASUS-released GeForce driver.

Guest Madmatt

I was growing concerned of all the ME and Geforce talk so I went ahead and upgraded my box to ME (from 98SE), put in DirectX 8, Geforce 6.31 drivers and I still have not encountered one lockup with CM.

I know there is something weird out there, but I havent had any luck tracking it down yet.

Madmatt