ATI Rage 128 Driver problem + Q about resolution

As stated in the manual, the most recent (march 2000) ATI drivers dont work with CM.

So I installed the previous version : it works well, EXCEPT when I return to the game after "reducing" (Esc) it ... In this case all seems in negative colors (mostly dark..).

What version should I use ?

Resolution : I don't understand why I can't launch CM at a higher resolution that my destop res... although I can heighten my desktop res, launch the game, then go back to my desktop to reduce the res, and then back to CM at the "higher" rate !!

What's the logic behind this ? Can't CM res be definitely independant of the desktop ?

I believe the latest version should work. I don't think ATI has it posted on their site as of yet.

Rage3D (driver listing in upper right of page):

http://www.rage3d.com/

As for launching CM at a different resolution; it may have not occured to Charles that users would want a game that launches at a higher resolution than their desktop (or maybe this is a bit problematic on the Mac, I'm not sure).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

I'm not sure, but isn't "desktop res" actually a limit on resolution for the system itsel, like saying "use no res higher than X"? I have no idea if this is right. Are there any people out there w/ desktops set at, say, 800x640, playing Quake or something at 1024x768?

DjB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, with Win 9x and DirectX software is able to switch res mode. That's indeed what I do when I reduce the game in 1024*768 res ,switch my desktop to say 800*600, and then go back to CM, it re-switches in 1024...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

I believe the latest version should work. I don't think ATI has it posted on their site as of yet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whaddaya means ? ATI has updated drivers but they ain't available ?? They're under test ?

Often the chipset manufacturers don't put the latest BETA of their Reference drivers on their website (which can be quite a few version numbers above the current release). A number of websites are out there that have the latest BETA for a number of manufacturers. Often these BETAs end up being the final version or another BETA is released which eventually becomes the final version. The nice thing about getting BETA drivers is that sometimes they fix the problem that you're having (while possibly not fixing everything or possibly causing a problem).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got it finally, indeed it works ... still have no fog and do not expect to have it on this *$^@ damned card...