Still need help with GeForce2 and Windows XP video drivers

Captain Wacky, this is how far I got with your info:

Okay, I just got this working and I'm on XP so I'll see if I can help you out.

1.) Download the new drivers (duh)

2.) Unzip them into the folder of your choice (just remember it for later)

3.) Close all your programs and files, you'll be restarting in a moment

4.) Go into Control Panel/ Display/ Settings/ Advanced/ Adapter

5.) Click on Properties/Drivers

6.) Uninstall the drivers. You will be asked to reboot after this, do it

7.) Get back into Windows. Things should look a little funny because you've disabled your card

8.) Go back in Control Panel/ Display/ Settings/ Advanced/ Adapter/ Properties/ Driver

9.) Click on Update Driver

There was no option here for update driver - at all! What now?

I also tried to get the new drivers from guru and couldn't access the site. Can someone PLEASE email me a folder with all the necessary files for the drivers for 27.42 or 27.10 or whatever it is that makes the GeForce2 card work with CM?

I don't understand why the game will work fine - ie all menus and text screens (ie briefings) up until the point you enter the gameplay screen - then it all turns weird with the white bits flickering or disappearing altogether. Very strange. But when you go to play again the next day, the display is fine - until you enter the gameplay screen again.

[ February 27, 2002, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I've sent the 27.42 installer to you, but your email will need to be able to handle attachments over 1Mb in size (the file is over 4.6Mb). Have you installed an NVidia driver newer than what has come with XP ? If you have then you'll need to uninstall it before installing/executing this file. If the last set of drivers you installed were installed with a setup program then you should be able to 'uninstall' them by going to the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

The problem that you're describing is due to the drivers themselves (or possibly their registry settings). It happened often that the initial screens would look OK until you got to the 3D screens. If you were to try to load another scenario the 2D scenario screens would often would experience the white-transparency bug, until you restarted CMBO. NVidia has finally fixed this problem with the 26.xx and 27.xx series of drivers.

My inbox limit is 10 Mb; my server seems a bit unreliable; should I be concerned that it hasn't arrived yet? Your last para describes exactly the problem I am having. I downloaded beta drivers from guru3d.com but am not sure if the older ones have been uninstalled or not; the wizard that comes up for me does not match either the instructions on the guru site nor the ones that Captain Wacky provided, so I kind of had to wing it through the steps, with no idea if what I was doing was correct. Thanks for the help, looking forward to getting the drivers settled.

I emailed the driver right before I posted here (to the email address you have in your profile). You should have received it by now unless your email service is really having problems.

Go to your Add/Remove Programs control panel and see if there is a listing for the NVidia drivers (often called Detonators). If you used a setup program (not all of the NVidia drivers come with a setup program) to install the previous drivers then there should be a good chance that they'll be listed in the control panel to remove. Once you've removed the drivers things may be a bit screwy with your screen resolution may drop, color depth may be limited and your monitor profile may disappear. I'd suggest rebooting after you've performed the uninstall (hopefully Windows won't ask for the 'driver CD' for the display adapter when you reboot). WindowsXP has a built-in generic SVGA/VESA driver that works with all kinds of chipsets, including the NVidias and you may actually have access to higher resolutions and color depths, but you'll still need to install the NVidia drivers to get 3D functions out of the chipset.

I never received the email; the addie in my profile is correct - madorosh@shaw.ca - but I have had cases of emails showing up two weeks later. Any chance you can resend?

I just checked the control panel, and yes, Nvidia was listed. I just removed this and am about to reboot...I'll try a quick download from the guru site one last time.

Thanks for all your help.

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

Now that you have found the "update driver" button I suggest using the instructions I provided, they worked for me with the 27.42 drivers

I just did that, no go - can you email me the 27.42 files? I'll uninstall what I've got (again), erase every other downloaded nvidia driver file on my hard drive, and try again.

According to your control panel you're actually using the 23.12 drivers (2.3.1.2). It looks like XP found your earlier drivers and installed them again. You may need to uninstall your drivers again and then go through the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 and C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS directories and delete files that start with NV (nv*.*). I'd suggest looking at the file properties first before deleting them to make sure that they're NVidia files (which most should be).

I've just re-emailed you both the 27.51 and 27.42 drivers. The 27.42 drivers have an installer, while the 27.51's don't.

[ February 27, 2002, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

Now that you have found the "update driver" button I suggest using the instructions I provided, they worked for me with the 27.42 drivers

I just did that, no go - can you email me the 27.42 files? I'll uninstall what I've got (again), erase every other downloaded nvidia driver file on my hard drive, and try again.</font>

Okay, Captain Wacky's mail came through with the drivers. Schrullenhaft, yes, 10 Mb is the limit for all my files but my server has been really bad. I was home sick yesterday with my email running all day, so the inbox would never have been full up. Thanks for trying - I'll go with what I've got and post the results to this thread.

Mike