Any house rules limiting Spain diplo?

Lars,

That’s the benefit of hind sight. Every time the Axis thought Malta was neutralized it got back on its feet and was a right royal pain. If the axis had taken it, then Rommels fuel would have gotten through.

My complaint is that just now there is no need for the Axis to bother with Malta. It just doesn’t matter as the effect is to small. On a 10% chance the Axis can operate a massive amount of forces to N.A. and storm into Egypt before any Malta affect is felt. But if in reality the Axis had done the same then the Allies would have had more forces operating out of there and the effect would have devastating. That’s an option the allies should have in the game. As it stands at present it’s the only hope the allies have of defending the med. The current set up is not what if, more like a certainty.

Why not petition Hubert for a change.

No free Malta effect.

Bomber or Fighter in Malta = 40% & 30% respectfully.

Cruiser or Battleship in Malta port = 40%

I think that would make things more interesting and result in a neutralising of Malta prior to Rommel landing and storming Egypt.

I know we can do this in the editor but like most people I would like a really good stock game to play against people.

@ MAverick you already can install a bomber on Malta and bomb the ports. Reducing the supply be default feels wrong to me. How about then limiting MPS from convoys by default to without subs on the convoy lanes?

Malta is important is an annoyance already and a good "spying point for the allies. Italy cannot leave any psoition undefended or move its fleet without being spooted by a Malta bomber. For this reason alone I like to take out Malta.

Sombra,

Malta in the game isn’t an annoyance, in the game it’s nothing. In reality, Malta was a serious problem to Axis supply.

Yes you can station a bomber there and hit the ports but that won’t reduce Axis supplies to the point were it has an effect before the bomber is reduced to nothing. Any German air craft will also make short work of it. But as pointed out, the real Malta contribution came from Submarines and to a lesser degree ships and torpedo bombers stationed there (i.e. the Malta effect).

You would not be reducing the supply by default. It would require a significant investment of a bomber (very vulnerable to a couple of air fleets) a fighter (again vulnerable) and perhaps a battleship (the Italians could take it out).

It would add another counter play, another option for players. Remember we are talking about removing any effect from just having the corps stationed there.

My experience with a Brit upgraded air fleet in Malta has been quite good... of course my opponent only hammered at it for two or three turns with three air fleets, but he was taking a ton of losses. That's a signficant commitment to throw down onto Sicily, especially if one is trying to prep for Barbarossa.

In general, I think many of these complaints about fortresses that are not impregnable miss the point-- if you're letting the opponent commit half or more of his airforce to a point away from the front, you deserve what you get: he has got to be made to pay with an opening of second and third fronts.

@Maverick. For me as Axis Malta is a problem.

Investing a couple of airfleets and ships to reduce entrechnment is like a mayor investment for the Axis. I need these troops in Egypt. Reducing Tobruk and its port is a problem for the Axis. Besides its not soooo easy to bomb the Allies out of Malta.

But if it was changed from version 1.00 I would like to see turn in back like it was in 1.00 . A bomber should have more effect then a corps in Malta.

I like the idea of giving the Brits a Sub in the Malta port at the start of the game and setting up a convoy route for the Axies in the med. It opens up an entirly new stratigy in the Med and in this case more is better smile.gif

Rolend,

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. More options! The British can always pull out, the Axis can all out or try to ignore.

Anything would be beter than what happens just now. I don't mind Poland, Denmark, Norway etc being set moves. Afterall it's the opening of the game. But Egypt is fast becoming a set move. It shouldn't be.