question for Hubert

Originally posted by Timskorn:

I feel the SC series CAN break out to a larger audience, but I believe that comes with ever-increasing-graphics and an ever-more-intuitive interface and action-feedback. There's a lot of numbers for people to look at (Strength, supply, terrain, weather, tech, etc) that factor into why a unit may do 3 points of damage this turn if they attack or 0 if they attack next turn. Or why can't I move this unit out of a swamp right now? Why can't I reinforce this turn, but I can the next?

Most of the time it's just the interface and context-sensitive feedback that need some TLC in order to present all this information to a new player in a slick style.

That has been my main source of feedback over the last couple of months, and Hubert is aware of those issues.

There is no time (yet) though for a complete UI redesign,

but I'm working on some mockup designs myself as that's something I've been studying for the last couple of years smile.gif

I've done a usability test a few weeks ago with some classmates.

They were totally new to the game and I've noted down all their feedback and test results.

But that's all for "down the road". smile.gif

Hubert will probably continue to improve things as he has done in the past with each update.

So I have no doubt that things will turn out great.

Cool, glad to hear it n0kn0k. I'm sure it's a pretty big endeavor and one probably best suited for SC3 or whatever next "full" game HC releases, unless of course there is $$ to be made with a 2nd "expansion" for SC2.

I'm glad to see HC making WaW. Expansions typically do not make as much money as the original game, but I think for a wargame such as this you'll get the core fanbase to buy it, plus all the "sleepers" out there that bought and enjoyed the game but have since moved on. Once they hear about an expansion they come back. Then 6 months from now you release the "Gold Special Edition Directors Cut" SC2, re-market it and grab up all-new customers who missed it the first time. smile.gif

Attempting to break into the distribution of computer games is one of the most difficult tasks you will encounter.

The number of distributors has dropped to a point where it is almost impossible to find a firm willing to place your product in there system. Most require a certain number sell and you will have difficulty proving you can come up with those numbers. Many want you to front the distribution costs. Those are not cheap.

Even if you get it into the market you need to somehow advertise and convince the buyers this one actually works. They have been bitten alot.

Years ago the small gaming market would have picked this product up and did some distribution and advertising but those distributors are all gone so it is not an open market that you benefit from here.

Chessex, Alliance Wargamers West, Greentree all gone. It is a very tough industry in a falling market.