PBEM file failures, how common?

Fly-By

Ive been happily busy turning out multiple PBEM files daily for about a week now. I have seven contacts going now, 3 on CMBB & 4 on CMBO.

Ive sent/received over a hundred files with about 20% failure rate. Intially, ALL failed files were ones I received. Today,for the first time, I was told by one player that I SENT a failed file.

"Q",[1] Are a certain amount of failed PBEM files common?

[2] Is there an indication of failure source if they are only received files [as opposed to sent files]?

Thanks-FlyBy

By failed file, I mean a file that wont load. I believe files are incomplete, truncated.

I start game, click "Join Multiplayer", click "Load Email" button, select specific file, screen flickers & nothing happens.Keep in mind this has happen to about 20 of 100 files, a minority.

What all failed files have in common: The last line of files received are missing the statement "End of PBEM file" [not exact quote, but close].

I also saved a failed file to compare to a successful file & counted several lines of text missing at the bottom [along with closing message I mentioned].

Im not sure what CM versions my opponents are using.I'll check into that. I will say that majority of contacts have enjoyed 15-20 file exchanges before problem occurs.

I suspect mail service.

Originally posted by Fly-By:

By failed file, I mean a file that wont load. I believe files are incomplete, truncated.

I start game, click "Join Multiplayer", click "Load Email" button, select specific file, screen flickers & nothing happens.Keep in mind this has happen to about 20 of 100 files, a minority.

What all failed files have in common: The last line of files received are missing the statement "End of PBEM file" [not exact quote, but close].

I also saved a failed file to compare to a successful file & counted several lines of text missing at the bottom [along with closing message I mentioned].

Im not sure what CM versions my opponents are using.I'll check into that. I will say that majority of contacts have enjoyed 15-20 file exchanges before problem occurs.

I suspect mail service.

If the file does not have that terminating line then it is not valid insofar as CMBB is concerned.

Probably the mail service or clients involved. Usually the body of email messages has some limit, and oftentimes plain text messages get merged into the body of the email.

Best bet is to zip the file, which will make it transfer as a binary attachment, clearing up such truncation issues.

WWB

Zipping or other file compression is the solution to the problem as the mail programs and service providers will often drop a byte or two. I have the same problem when sending DXF files that are large, all it takes is a few dropped lines and it will be unopenable.

I found that with Outlook Express that when the file size reached 1 mb or so that I would have consistent failures. The files from the program were fine, it was whatever it was going through on its way to and fro across the information superhighway.