Internet connection - 56K modem/44000 bps?

Apache

Despite having a 56k modem the highest connection I EVER seem to get it 44,000 bps. Any ideas. Sometimes it connects only at 41/42. Bit of a pain when downloading mods etc. (though I'm not sure if the extra would help much). I don't use the net enough to justify ASDL connection.

A 56K modem will almost never reach 56K in actual speed. The fast I've personally seen one hook up was at 51.6K or something around there. There are several factors that affect the actual speed you hook up at, including how far away you may be from your local digital switching exchange, etc. Your speeds are quite normal for a 56K modem.

Depending on the type of modem you have, sometimes you can see a boost in speed by updating the drivers. This is typically true of PCI modems with an onboard DSP. However I doubt that you'll see a massive improvement and it is possible to actually lose speed depending on other variables with your ISP, etc.

Originally posted by Apache:

Despite having a 56k modem the highest connection I EVER seem to get it 44,000 bps. Any ideas. Sometimes it connects only at 41/42. Bit of a pain when downloading mods etc. (though I'm not sure if the extra would help much). I don't use the net enough to justify ASDL connection.

ONE word

POTS

It means Plain Old Telephone Service

56k modems are "billed" as 56k because with data compression that is the theoretical BEST performace you can get in opitimal conditions when there is no noise or static at ALL on the line.

Any normal phone line usually has enough noise or static on it to slow you down a hair.

you should be pretty happy with your 44 kps connection that not bad at all.

-tom w

Originally posted by wwb_99:

I have the world's most amazing modem, I regularly get 52k speeds and can download over all that bandwith. I have never seen a modem like it, and I have tried many.

WWB

Well, don't leave us hanging - what modem are you getting such good results with?