Combat Mission under Linux / Wine

That is only a symptom, not the primary problem. Even if you ignored the test things wouldn't work.

Basically CM is the only game still mainly using DirectX 5 calls and nobody bothers to write code to support them. Keep in mind Wine uses a full-blown Direct3D to OpenGL converter, so supporting a new version of Direct3D trigger huge amounts of code to be written.

• 1 year later...

This is probably a stab into thin air, but did anyone hear of improvements to wine so that it supports any or all of the 3 CM games? Has anyone been able to get CM working on a Linux machine?

I googled for it, but officially Combat Mission isn't supported and from the above I understand there are some fundamental issues. Nevertheless I have this beautifull Ubuntu 5.10 setup now and I'd like to be able to play CM on it.

Can't hurt to ask.

Mies

Thanks Redwolf, I'll look into that. I did almost managed to get it going with wine on my notebook with integrated graphics card. Install on CMAK went fine as well as the patch. Only when determining my resolution it crashes. I'm really tempted to try this on my normal pc with a nvidia card in there. I'll update here should I get CMAK working under wine.

Thanks,

Mies

Originally posted by Mies:

Thanks Redwolf, I'll look into that. I did almost managed to get it going with wine on my notebook with integrated graphics card. Install on CMAK went fine as well as the patch. Only when determining my resolution it crashes.

This is not "almost working". This is "doesn't work at all", it is missing the DirectX 5.x calls that CMx1 uses. The install procedure has nothing to do with the rest of the game.

Edit : To add that if the below still has to do with DirectX 5 calls this is probably end of the line.

I installed cedega from cvs so no payment required, thanks for the heads-up. Using that I do manage to start CMAK and to start a game. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world and I'm now stuck at the "loading 3d graphics" screen just before you get to the actual map.

I guess this is either related to an hardware issue (which is rather vague I realize) or a specific config issue related to cedega.

Now I'm not running a big game rig, as said before, but an integrated graphics card for which I reserved 32Mb from internal memory in the BIOS. This works for CMAK on a windows 2000 install on the same machine

The cedega config file I left as it was with memory settings set to default.

You've probably guessed it. Anyone ( Redwolf :) ) any idea what to do from here as I'm a bit stuck?

Thanks,

Mies

[ November 28, 2005, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Mies ]

Same for me when I tried Cedega from source.

The binary package has some extras, such as safedisk copy protection support. While CM does not have safedisk, there are more such gimmicks where source is not publishable in the binary built. One of them seems to enable CM.

You followed what I said about cd/no-cd patch to the word, did you?

You followed what I said about cd/no-cd patch to the word, did you?
Yes, I actually only tried CMAK, because that didn't need a no-CD exe.

Redwolf, am I correct in thinking that when you used the binary package it did work for you?

Mies

A small update, I sort of used a no-cd exe for CMAK and launched the game again. This time it actually did bring up the game. I could see the tips section at the top of the screen and the controls at the bottom. The sound was there too. However I didn't get a view on the map, the screen stayed black. I was able to brin up the shortcuts me, briefing etc. Also alt+a brought me back to the main menu etc.

So still not playable, but somewhat further.

Mies

Yes, I used the binary packages. I think I used 4.2.1 and 4.3.1 with CM.

Personally I think transgaming is slightly cheaping here. The binary packages are clearly different from what you build from the CVS tree in more ways than they officially announce.

And before you pay read my warning above.

• 11 months later...

It's been a while (in fact almost a year) but I gave running Comba Mission under Linux another go. An lo and behold I managed to get CMAK working, more or less. I'm able to install and startup CMAK using cedega's latest CVS build on Ubuntu Edgy. I can start a battle and play it as well. At this point only the sound is not 100% and the game is terribly slow, but at least it works. Should anyone want to experiment, here is what I did.

Install steps cedega from cvs on Ubuntu Edgy :

Install dependent packages for Cedega:

sudo apt-get install cvs build-essential bison flex-old libasound2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg62- dev libfreetype6-dev libxrender-dev libttf2 libttf-dev libsdl1.2-dev l ibsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl- net1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev msttcorefonts libfontconfig1-dev

The x-window-system-dev package is listed as a requirement, but it's not a part of Ubuntu anymore aparently so I left it out

Download : http://winecvs.linux-gamers.net/WineCVS.sh or any other download location you can find.

Wine / Cedega doesn't install properly with gcc4x so do the following at the prompt :

export CC=gcc-3.4 make

Note : I had to install gcc 3.4 first. Just synaptic package manager or apt from the prompt.

Run : sudo WineCVS.sh

Choose option 1 and follow steps through the install

Change your config file. Mine looks like this, the stuff that changes anyway :

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">

[Drive C]

"Path" = "/home/mkoning/games/windows/c/"

"Type" = "hd"

"Label" = "Dos Drive"

"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive D]

"Path" = "/media/cdrecorder"

"Type" = "cdrom"

"Label" = "CD-Rom"

"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive E]

"Path" = "/tmp"

"Type" = "hd"

"Label" = "tmp"

"Filesystem" = "win95"

[wine]

"Windows" = "c:\\windows"

"System" = "c:\\windows\\system32\\"

"Temp" = "e:\\"

"Path" = "c:\\windows\\;c:\\windows\\system32\\"</pre>

I tried some different type scenario's with the above setup and except for small setup I can't play anything comfortably. The computation before the action starts takes as long as running "To the Volga" on an underspect pc. Also manouvering through the terrain is too slow to play. And then there's the sound which is horrible. Back to the drawing board once again....

Mies

• 1 year later...

Ancient thread of old... from your unhallowed grave... ARISE!!!

Ahem.

Hello all.

I've recently decided to try and wean myself off Windows as much as I can but the one thing that keeps me rebooting into XP is the CM games I have installed (Hello Tom, don't worry about the PBEM turn, no rush).

My machine is a Dell E521 with an ATI x1300 graphics card and 2 gig of RAM so in XP CMBO, CMBB and CMAK run like silk-clad, greased lightning.

I've picked up a copy of Cedega 6 (the windows gaming emulatoroidesque thingummy) and installed it on my MEPIS 7 Linux.

Sadly the CM game runs like a juddery acid trip.

Have any of the Linux crowd on here had any success getting CMxx to run okay?