fall weiss scenario - request to the development team

Hey guys. I know Bill, Hubert, Ludwig and all you others will make a terrific job with the OOB etc of fall weiss scenario. But I wanna stress to you how important it is that this particular scenario will be very accurate and good. Why? Of the simple reason that this scenario will be the standard way of playing competitive SC.

That is also the reason why I'm not satisfied whit replies like "you can edit wathever you want" or "just change it if you don't like it". Well that will never be the case for us that play competitive so please lets do this right from the beginning.

I know Terif is helping you out with play balance and that's great but how about the historical aspects? If you need help contact me or let us put together a group of me, ev, jersey etc to get this one right.

What do you think?

Kuniworth@hotmail.com

this scenario will be the standard way of playing competitive SC
I agree. But recognize there are a couple of issues to work with here. One is the two-horned dilemma of making a game with 100% realism and accuracy (to the point achieveable by the scope of the game), OR ... making a game that is 100% playbalanced. I say "or" because these two goals are NOT the same. Assuming we should release a playbalanced scenario (since this IS a "game" and all players should expect a chance to win) then the challenge is making it happen.

I'd say we have all good intentions of making that happen but there are no guarantees that playtesting will discover all the gamey tricks that youse guys are capable of using. SC1 went through several patches not just to fix a few obvious game bugs but also to change some things for better playbalance. In a few cases the scenarios were changed but the idea of updating the official scenarios based on player feedback never really caught on. This could and should be reconsidered with SC2 so that patches also update the scenarios to provide better playbalance.

I'm not satisfied with replies like "you can edit whatever you want" or "just change it if you don't like it".
Players WILL have an opportunity to experiment with different ideas and see if they result in better gameplay and playbalance. This should provide useful feedback and forum discussions for considering changes to the official scenarios, which can then be used for league competitions and such. But remember, 100% playbalance may not represent the "historical accuracy" some players demand. The effects of research or politics and diplomacy or force pool limits or whatever may not appeal to some players. The Editor will thus provide a means for modding the "official" scenarios to suit different player styles, for either individual games or different league competitions. That's a good thing, yes?

Originally posted by pzgndr:

but the idea of updating the official scenarios based on player feedback never really caught on. This could and should be reconsidered with SC2 so that patches also update the scenarios to provide better playbalance.

That's a great idea. Thx for the info.