2 x IP Addresses - But i still cannot Host

My 2 computers are linked together on a home LAN without a hub, just a cable. The LAN works fine and i can host a game on both computers.

But, when i play online i cannot host, i can connect to another host and play via internet, but if my opponent tries to connect to me it will not work.

CM will give me 2 IP addresses, one is for the LAN card and one is for the internet IP, i have tried giving both IP addresses to my opponent but still it will not allow another player to connect to my computer.

Am i doing something wrong? Does anyone know of a possible solution?

My system is a 900 Athlon, 256MB Ram and running Windows ME.

I have 2 100/10 Buffalo LAN Cards connected via cross over cable.

Regards

CDIC

How do you hook up to the Internet, via modem or high speed interface like DSL ? Is your Internet IP static or does it change every-so-often or each time you connect ?

Over the internet you can hit this site to find out your 'internet' IP address:

http://northdelta.net/ipadd.asp

Since your two network cards are hooked together with a crossover cable, their IP addresses shouldn't be used for an 'online' game.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

Thanks for the quick Reply - i hook up with a standard 56k modem. I know the second fixed IP address cannot be used for internet hosting, only LAN hosting - but we tried it anyway out of desperation ;)

The IP address for the modem should change every time you log on - I used the run command "winipg" or something like that and it gives me the same ip address as that shown on the CM screen.

I get the usual "Waiting for opponent to connect" but it never connects.

Is there a setting on my modem that needs attention?

Cheers

CDIC

There are no extra settings or AT commands for the modem that should affect a TCP/IP game of CM that I know of. If you hit the website I posted above does it give the same IP address as the 'winipcfg' program (the 'PPP Adapter' address) ? Are you using any firewall software on your internet connection ? It's possible to block incoming data on ports where you don't initiate the connection with some firewalls.

Hi,

To the best of my knowledege I do not use any firewall software on my home PC (I would not know what one looked like anyway). When i get home i will try and check out this website for the IP address and compare it to the one on my CM screen.

What sort of software could be classified as firewall? I just run ordinary stuff like MS office, actually i play so much CM i don't even remember what other software i have installed - whatever programs they are they have become redundant ;)

I appreciate your efforts, more from me later.

Cheers

CDIC

Firewall software is something that you would install like ZoneAlarm, Black Ice Defender, etc. If you've never installed such a package then you're not running a firewall to my knowledge, since nothing comes default from Microsoft with any of the Windows OS's.

Does your ISP provide their own software for hooking up to them or are you just using the standard Dial Up Networking within Windows to hook up ? You may want to contact your ISP's tech support and find out about incoming ports IP 7023-7024. It's possible that they're somehow blocking your computer from hosting (though I wouldn't know the details of how they would accomplish that since you're able to hook up as a client in a CM TCP/IP session). I'm not sure if CM uses UDP or TCP packets. UDP packets are connectionless and are used by many games to speed up transfer of data. TCP packets get verified back to the sender that they've been received or they get resent - a slower, but more reliable way of sending data.

So when you set up as host you're at the game screen waiting for your opponent to hook up and they tell you that they get an 'invalid IP' message putting in your IP address ?

I'm at a loss as to what to suggest next. Maybe someone else will chime in here with their experiences.

Hmmm, well, it seems something's blocking the incoming traffic. Check the programs running in the backgroud. Type 'msconfig' at the Run command box. Hit the tab on the far right. It lists the programs that start up when you start your machine. Perhaps you have a software firewall and don't realize it (e.g. ZoneAlarm, BlackIce, etc). Or, just shutdown all programs running in the background (hit ctrl-alt-delete and select End Task) EXCEPT explorer and systray. That should eliminate the possibility of a software firewall unless it's running secretly, which you can look for in System Information, under System Tools.

The other thing to try is to ask your ISP if they for some reason block incoming traffic on the port CM needs (7230?). Maybe they block incoming traffic to prevent people from hosting FTP/Web servers, though I haven't had this experience before.

Good luck,

BeWary

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: BeWary ]</p>

Thanks guys, i am going to try a few things when i get back from a short business trip - i will let you know the results next week.

I will try and disconnect the cable...not a bad suggestion, incidentally i could host CM games and Rogue Spear no problem before i set up my home LAN so Gyrene may be onto something!

CDIC

PS. I don't have any of those software firewall programs mentioned.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Captitalistdoginchina ]</p>

Ok, so definitely no firewalls installed. I use the standard windows dial up networking to connect my modem to the Internet.

Before I setup the LAN I used to host CM and other games no problem, so it cannot be my ISP. If it is I am in trouble since communicating with these guys is not easy...in fact I have never managed it yet in 6 years.

I will check with my regular opponent what message he gets at his screen.

I also have an internal modem which is/was very slow and used to stop sending/receiving data periodically, so I just plugged in a new external one last year and since I am a lazy b*****d I left the original one inside......could that possibly be a root cause? Could the internal modem cause some confusion or conflict maybe?

I still have not tried disconnecting the cable yet, because I have not yet tried another TCP/IP game to check it out.

Any ideas so far?

Cheers

CDIC

If you can connect to the Internet with your current modem, then I wouldn't think that your old modem would be affecting your hosting problem. In the properties for your dialup connection you can see which modem is selected to make the connection.

Have you already tried disconnecting the cross-over cable between your two PC's to see if that made any difference ? Did your hosting problems start right after installing your home LAN ? Have you changed any settings in the TCP/IP protocol for your dialup connection ?

The dial up adapter is set to the default external modem, so i guess no problem there. But i shall attempt to remove the old modem anyway, screwdriver at the ready, i am going in men....cover me ;)

I do not often play TCP/IP and when i do it is only with one other CM player, in these events it was easier to ask him to host so i cannot be sure how long ago this problem started, but i am sure it was sometime after i setup the LAN late last year. I remember i had problems getting the LAN to work and in the end i gave up with the Win ME home LAN setup - i then had a friend install a proxy software to enable me to do it. As it turns out i had got the LAN IP address wrong (Doh!) and thats why it did not work, but we left the proxy in place anyway. The LAN now works fine via the proxy software.

It is possible that in my attempts to get the LAN working i may have inadvertantly altered a setting in the TCP/IP adapter settings....but i would not know how to check if they are correct or not, once the LAN was working i was happy.

I will try to disconnect the cable when we next attempt a TCP/IP game, but that could take a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all your help.

Kind regards

CDIC

Capitalistdoginchina

are you using internet connection sharing under win/98 if so i too had the same problem.. something in the software of ics will not let me host a game when i am on the internet. i can connect to someone else but i am unable to host a game.. madmatt and rune tried to get it to work with me but alas no go.. we tried many thing to get it to work. nada!!

i will check back here from time to time to see if you had any luck..

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Arien ]</p>

Hi Arien,

Thanks for the tip. I am using internet sharing but via the proxy (The proxy is AnalogX) software not via the ICS in win ME.

So i guess i should try and disable the proxy software and see...i did install the win ME ICS option but i never used it, because i could not get it to work - should i remove or disable that too.....if so how do i do that?

I suppose that i should revert to the Win ME home LAN setup instead of using the proxy software...., i installed the proxy software because i could not get the LAN to work under Win ME, my friend noticed (After we installed the proxy software) that i had got my LAN card IP address wrong on one of the cards so that was why i could not get it to work...Doh :confused:

CDIC