CMBB crashes since 1.02

If you're absolutely certain that the 1.02 patch is causing your lockups, then I suggest reinstalling and patching to 1.01. Make sure you can play with this patch level without the problems you claim 1.02 has (that means several games without lockup). If 1.01 performs on your current setup without problem then proceed to installing the 1.02 patch. If 1.01 has problems, then there is something wrong with your system's configuration.

I suggest playing without mods for now (sounds or graphics).

You may want to re-download the 1.02 patch (though this may make little difference compared to the file you have already). If possible try to get it from a different source. I highly suggest running an updated virus scanner against this file to make sure there are no viruses attached.

If 1.02 locksup on you fairly quickly and 1.01 didn't, I'm not sure what to say. 1.02 has a few more resources (bitmaps) to support, but beyond that it isn't radically different from 1.01. If it were that much of a coding problem plenty of other CDV players would have had problems. This may narrow down the issue to something on your system having problems with the 1.02 patch.