The Manual says this:

The following table outlines the conditions that determine the maximum

operational strength value of a city or resource:

CONDITION MAX STRENGTH VALUE

In Direct Connection With Capital 10

Cut Off From Capital 5

Occupied City/Resource 8

Cut Off And Occupied 5

So I go and surround Moscow cutting all rail connections to any other resource last turn.

I fire up the game for this turn and note that all of Moscows rail connections are still cut off from any other resource.

But when I check the cities of Gorky, Veroinezh, and Rostov they are all operationg at 100%.

By my calculation cut off from Capital means 50% max. Why is it not working like that?

WAW ver 1.02

The thing is that the USSR has a number of industrial centres which provide supply in the same way as capitals. Stalingrad is definitely one, and one of the cities behind the Urals is too (can't remember the name of it offhand), so you'll need to widen your conquests in order to reduce the supply of places like Gorky and Rostov.

Or use strategic bombers and/or rockets to reduce these cities. It works!

Thanks for your answer Bill.

I do not recall reading anything like that in the manual though.

So cutting off the Rusian capital was a total waste of time and manpower?

Meanwhile the Russians are gobbling up every middle east neutral driving Soviet moral to very high levels (plus there economey I would guess) and USA does not seem to care one bit.

I haven't seen anything on this either. I was curious as to how this works as well. If you bomb Stalingrad to zero, how come the 3 cities in the Caucasus don't go down to 5? (Lets assume Rostov is under German control.) So the only link (rail) wise to rest of the empire (Stalingrad) is now at zero. If u bomb Grozny to zero, Baku and Tblisi go to 5. Why is that?

(I can only assume it depends on the amount of cities linked together.)

I also get confused on the whole supply thing for Russia (with the HQ's.) I understand with Germany. As long as their with in range of one of their cities(Poland or Romania), they are at 10. With in range of a captured Russian city, at 8. But how do the Russian HQ's supply work. I'm within range of a 10 strength city, and sometimes the HQ goes down to 8 or 9 supply. I notice this alot around the mines. I'll still have Kharkov at 10, move the HQ southwest of the city and before you know it, he's down to 8 supply, why?

City supply and HQ/Unit supply works differently. In the case of HQs they need to be within range of a supply centre in order to have a certain level of supply. Outside of this range then the supply drops down, to a minimum of 5. Unit supply is equal to the HQs supply it is drawing from, minus the distance between unit and HQ (with terrain affecting that distance).

K Man I also noticed that when I was playing as Soviets. What seems to be happening is that Russian HQs draw from the nearest friendly city regardless if they are in range of a better supply point.

So if you are liberating your cities they start with zero supply and increase each turn. If you have HQ closer to Odessa at30% then Kharkov at 100% he will supply from Odessa (which gives him supply 8) even though he would be better off supplying from Kharkov at 100%.

Noticeing playing the Axis that German HQs will supply from further than the closest city (maybe because the closest is ocupied?) But a nice player aid would be a way to see where a unit is drawing its supply from via some color highlight on the supply point.

Well that makes alittle more sense. Maybe when I'm moving the Russian HQ, it is closer to Sevestapol then Kharkov. (I assume the mines are not a supply point.) At this point I usually haven't lost Kharkov, so it will be at its max of 10, but Sevestapol, (port) could be at 5. Still don't know why it goes to 9 supply at some points...

Gentlemen,

Supply in Russia works the same as it does everywhere else and is based on the general supply formulas. For example it can come from a city or from an HQ, whichever supply source will return the greatest value.

For Russia, there are several 'Industrial Centers' that work similar to a capital in terms of providing maximum resource strength to connected resources. These are listed in the Editor under Country Data and for the USSR they are:

* Moscow

* Sverdlovsk (Urals)

* Stalingrad

* Grozny (Caucases)

Other countries have these as well, for example, Germany has Berlin and Munich and the UK has London and Manchester.

Hope this helps,

Hubert