Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Solidarity with Europe!

Well, to make it simple, BTS believes that the German law says 'no' to Waffen-SS, so BTS say no, too. Period

Steve says this is only an unimportant issue, it's just one damn word and one or two different BMPs. As far as I can see, the most people has agreed that it is absolutly unimportant if the thing is Waffen-SS or Waffengrenadier.

But why do they make two different versions for the US market and the European market to make a needless difference? Just call them 'Waffengrenadier' in the US version, too. This would end all bla blah about the better 'original' US version, and no one can say they were cheated, no discussions about feared incompatibility etc etc.

Of course I assume that the US costumers are as willing to buy the 'Grenadier' version as the EU costumers. So why make a difference at all?

[ July 11, 2002, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Phantom Rocker ]

What they should do is add the ability to edit unit titles yourself. It wouldn't change the unit stats at all and the name would appear on your opponents system as whatever he has named it. I know it's a bit of a coding effort for something so minor, but it completely eliminates the need for anything other than language translation for the localized versions of the game.

Besides, I think there are a number of people here who prefer the title Waffenhamstertruppen.

Going to try this one last time, then ask them to lock this.

1. BFC would like to be historical. They would like nothing better then to have the SS runes and names not changed. However,

2. They made a deal to get CMBB into stores in Europe, since the majority do not order via the INternet there. This Company is called CDV. CDV is located in:

3. Germany, which has strict laws about displaying the runes and symbols. Selling to or buying a game with the symbols can get you arrested and/or the game banned. Some people say the name is not an issue with the German law, just the symbols, however:

4. The lawyers at CDV disagree. Since it is in the contract, BFC's hands are tied. Some people would liek to order directly from BFC< however:

5. The same agreement states that CDV sells in West Europe and BFC cannot sell there, and CDV cannot sell where BFC sells. This is a standard practice in software.

So, quit blaming BFC, and bringing this up over and over. It is the German laws, and the lawyers who say they cannot go in. So, to change this:

Fork over the money to take on the German Government in court, and to pay the lawyers, or

just fine someone in the US willing to purchase for you.

Simple enought? Oh yeah, we don't have that law here in the United States, so we don't have to deal with it.

Rune

What they should do is add the ability to edit unit titles yourself. It wouldn't change the unit stats at all and the name would appear on your opponents system as whatever he has named it
You can change them with a resource editor so long as you leave the length of the name the same. It's about 10 seconds work and is not worth all this fuss. It would take me longer to figure out which bmps I have to change.

[ July 11, 2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Caesar ]

Because Waffen-SS is a more accurate term Rocker. As Steve pointed out, we dont particaully agree with what we need to change for the German version of CMBB, but it is something we have to do and that is basically that.

As I dont have the time to make sure this doesnt turn into a flame war like some of the posts did earlier, Im going to lock it up.

Dan