Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Question about severely depleted squads

It seems that when a squad is reduced to 3 men or less, it becomes very difficult to hit the last remaining guys, particularly when they are in a building, but it even happens out in the open too. It is somewhat frustrating to spend so much ammo over a period of a few turns trying to get the last few guys when you have just wiped out the rest of the squad in just a turn or two.

MG teams also seem to exhibit this. The last guy in the team can be very difficult to eliminate.

I'm wondering... Has anyone else noticed this?

I've noticed that before. It almost seems like CM uses an averaging formula to determine hits on squads (less people = less targets, thus harder to hit).

This probably not the case, but certain units like HQs, Arty Spotters and Broken squads are ridiculously hard to hit, while two man teams like AT and Flame thrower teams hardly ever survive a rifle barrage or MG fire.

Gyrene

Ditto.

I had a particular battle where the last Vickers MG crew man lasted something like 15 turns in a wheatfiled as it got shelled by direct firing, stationary PzIVs about 500m away. It was a source of amusement for my PBEM opponent. A pain in the a*# for me.

Lt Bull

Now there might be something to this. Not only do the lil buggers get harder to kill as the squad number deplete, but they seem more accurate somehow. I've seen whole squads blast away at a target with little effect, but then when the last guy's standing they can pick off a fly at 300 meters. Hmm, maybe we orta have Arthur Andersen look into this.

Well it's true they go to ground, but so did the entire squad initially. So why is it so easy to kill 90% of them, but the last 10% is so difficult to finish off?

I would agree with Gyrene...It seems there is a probability to hit based upon the number of men in the target receiving fire. While this makes sense, perhaps it should be modified a bit so that there are fewer happenings of the last MG gunner or squad members dodging bullets or multiple rounds of direct fire HE. It seems a little unlikely that a single guy in a field would not be injured, rendered unconscious, or killed by lots of HE fired at him, along with MG fire. Especially since the other members of the team were offed so quickly by the same direct fire.

In the game you will often choose a target, but in actuality this is just doing area fire. Your guys are not aiming at individual opponents, they are aiming at the general location of the enemy. Therefore, the probability to hit one guy or 10 should be roughly the same. The main variables are cover available and the incoming firepower.

This isn't a huge deal, but at the same time I hate watching one guy out in the open sitting there and saying "neener neener, you can't kill me no matter what you do. I require a tactical nuke to be dropped on my forehead before I die."

Originally posted by Sgt. Beavis:

Well it's true they go to ground, but so did the entire squad initially. So why is it so easy to kill 90% of them, but the last 10% is so difficult to finish off?

The last guy is either:

1) Lucky, which means predestined to survive,

2) Smart as hell, which means has special survival skills,

3) An accomplished coward, which means he doesn't actually participate much in the fighting and stays as low as possible.

It may seem that way because some units go to ground very fast. A unit that has gone to ground is much more difficult to pick off.
Especially true when they are 5 - 20 m in front of 3 enemy squads, or they lie in multi-mg crossfire (None more than 40 m away)....

Those hated buggers are nothing else then ammo depleters, i always try my force to hold fire with exception of one to save precious ammo..., as soon they try to run away they usually die quickly...

Originally posted by Sgt. Beavis:

It seems that when a squad is reduced to 3 men or less, it becomes very difficult to hit the last remaining guys, particularly when they are in a building, but it even happens out in the open too.

If i'm in a position to, I usually pick that time to get up close and personal about it.