Low System Specs - In Case Anyone Is Wondering

(In case anyone a little below the system requirements is holding off.)

OK, I did something kind of silly. I bought CMBB even though my computer is pretty much way under minimum spec and I don't have enough hard-drive space to install it. The idea was to keep it around and have it handy for when I get a new system in a few months or so.

The game arrived last Wednesday (8 days after ordering - great job guys!) and I've been throwing sidelong glances at it all week long. On the way home from work today I stopped in at this great little store that sells recycled PC junk (basically corporate cast offs in great condition at ridiculous prices) and thought I'd try an experiment - bought a 2 Gig Hard Drive for 10$ got it installed tonight, stuck CMBB on it (and that's pretty much all that's _ever_ going to go on it) and cranked it up for a test drive.

Did 10 turns of Jaegermeister - a medium sized battle used as a tutorial - and, surprise! It works great. I don't know how hard that scenario is pushing the game, but it had to handle an arillery strike, about 12 tanks, 2 companies worth of infantry and I've got a bit of smoke on the board right now and it's running very smoothly.

My system:

Pentium 2 - 300MHz

Riva TNT 2 1200x1000 screen res in game

128 Meg RAM

Wow, finnally somebody who has system specs just like me!!! Personally I run CMBB pretty well on my computer, although its a bit more beefier than yours...I will possibly get a new processor in a couple weeks.

This is my system:

300a Celeron

Geforce 2 MX 400

640 MB of RAM

Soundblaster Live! 5.1

Playing game at 1280x1024 resolution

Anyone tried it on an old Voodoo3 16mb card, by any chance?

My main PBEM opponent is so lame all he has is an ancient 233. I will gladly give him my old P-II 300 with aforementioned card, but I have my doubts. Plenty of memory and HD space, but I doubt the video card can handle it.

Originally posted by temujin:

I'm running a P3 500MHz, 128 RAM and Voodoo3 16MB card and haven't had any problems so far, although I believe I'm running at 800x600 resolution. Good luck to your friend.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll give it a try. If it works, they really ought to lower the min reqs.

Running Voodoo 3 16 mb

450 Mhz. Pentium II

Using the 1024 resolution

The problems I have encountered:

1.Barrel blast and HE smoke is polygonical whereas all other smoke appears ok.

2. Flames of burning tanks at 100m or less, freeze up and get rectangular. Look like light orange panes of glass. Beyond 100m or from a higher camera level appear normally burning.

3. Possibly lengthy graphics download at the beginning of a scenario.

4. Possibly lengthy wait for blue line game resolution.

I say possibly because I havent tried really big scenarios, but the 'thinking' process of the computer does seem to take longer than CMBO.

5. Not sure what kind of a problem this is but at higher camera levels, where one can see the battlefield I can't differentiate between my units:

all AFVs look alike and all infantry looks alike.

Haven't played any huge battles yet... so I am wondering what fresh hell is waiting.

Keeping cool.... Toad

Nice to hear other people are doing pretty well with older computers.

Comment about the Voodoos - I'm not an expert on graphic cards or anything - but I was originally using a Voodoo 2 when BO came out. The game ran fine with it and was definitely playable but the special effects - fog, smoke, transparencies just didn't look all that hot. Switched to a cheap TNT2 (which I had lying around smile.gif ) and things immediately looked much better.

Oh, I cranked up a fairly large operation (Blitzkrieg) yesterday to see if the game would choke on something bigger and its doing fine (wish I could say the same for my toy-soldiers).

Originally posted by Malakovski:

Anyone tried it on an old Voodoo3 16mb card, by any chance?

My main PBEM opponent is so lame all he has is an ancient 233. I will gladly give him my old P-II 300 with aforementioned card, but I have my doubts. Plenty of memory and HD space, but I doubt the video card can handle it.

I also run CMBB fairly smooth on my P2-300, 3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 (16 MB), 128MB Ram, 40GB Hard Disk system. Larger maps slows down the game considerable, but it´s still playable. I had more of an issue with the AI thinking about its moves in very large scenarios. At times the AI needs 20-30 minutes thinking /resolving a game turn before results could be watched in the replay. :eek:

Slow graphics was rather a minor issue in this regard!

________

Harry

Sorry... I hit add reply too soon smile.gif

Anyhow... I have a laptop I thought would NEVER run CMBB, i think it is about 400mhz with some mystery graphics card and a small hard drive. To my surprise I booted it up and it runs great! I have to take trees off on some of the larger scenarios but otherwise it runs real smooth.

Now I can finally play CMBB between classes and when I travel on long distance flights!!! Yey!