Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Wild Bill: How about some street fighting in Koln.

Maybe a small-medium sized map with all city street fighting in down town Koln.

Actually, I tried to make such a scenario already, but I have no historical data other than a quick overview of the desperate German volksturm. I also tried to do the map based on my actual visit to Cologne, but it was over 10 yeras ago and I just cant remember that much detail on the city. I can send you what I have and you can work with it or scrap it. Or you can just say "Hey DEF, you idiot, nobody wants to play a Cologne scenario." And I will go about my merry way smile.gif

------------------

The counter-revolution,

people smilling through their tears.

Who can give them back their lives, and all those wasted years.

Hey DEF, I'm living in Cologne. If you want, I can check the map for you.

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

Originally posted by Firefly:

Also remember that, thanks to the RAF and USAF, most of Cologne was rubble in 1945. My father passed through in 1946 and recalled that the only thing standing was the shell of the cathedral.

Yes, my father bombed it in 1944 or 45. His 323rd Bomb Group took heavier losses than were necessary because they planed their bomb run so the did not hit the cathedral. In doing so the bomb run took them over the heaviest concentration of FLAK which were on barges on the Rhine River. I got to visit Kohln and saw the Cathedral, I am glad that it was spared the ravages of war, it is an historical treasure.

gp

Hey Def! Yes, I'd be happy to look at what you have there and also go to some reference works and see what I can find.

The spelling is KOLN, which is the German name for Cologne? I want to be sure I'm looking for the right town or city.

You can click above and get my e-mail address. Send it on. We might just get a good one out of this.

OR, send me what you have done if you wish to continue and I'll see if I can help you with it a bit.

Standing by...Wild Bill

Wonderfull.

I will forward the map to Moon and Wild Bill.

If you guy's promise not to make fun of it behind my back. smile.gif

I came to the conclusion that I don't want to be in the scenario making buisness, which is alot harder than I thought. I Just dont have the resources for the accuracy I desire.

Wild Bill, if you look at a German made map, the spelling is KOLN, with those funny two dots over the O.

If you look at an American made map of Germany it is spelled Cologne.

I think most of the city was destroyed when the ground troops moved thru.

But I know there was some serious door to door fighting with fanatical Volksturm units controlling the city.

So Maybe half historical and half fiction maybe a more fun scenario to play.

------------------

The counter-revolution,

people smilling through their tears.

Who can give them back their lives, and all those wasted years.

Wild Bill,

To be really picky the correct spelling would be Koeln, using the 'e' to simulate the missing umlaut. Gosh Mr. Colvin, my German teacher woud be proud of me for remembering that biggrin.gif .

[This message has been edited by Firefly (edited 02-01-2001).]

Originally posted by Firefly:

Wild Bill,

To be really picky the correct spelling would be Koeln, using the 'e' to simulate the missing umlaut. Gosh Mr. Colvin, my German teacher woud be proud of me for remembering that biggrin.gif .

[This message has been edited by Firefly (edited 02-01-2001).]

LOL, thanks for clearing that up for us FF.

I never knew that was the proper way to simulate that.

[This message has been edited by DEF BUNGIS (edited 02-01-2001).]

And in a historical side note, if you looked at a Roman map, Koln would be Colonia Agrippa.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Guest Napoleon1944

Doing research on Nuremberg now. Intense fighting amidst a ruined city with mines and barbed wire. Should make a tough scenario against the AI.

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon

Originally posted by Napoleon1944:

Doing research on Nuremberg now. Intense fighting amidst a ruined city with mines and barbed wire. Should make a tough scenario against the AI.

Napoleon;

Let us know when you finish the scenario.

No beta versions please smile.gif

I love a good city fight.