Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Laptop problems

Apache

The company I work for provide me with a laptop - a Toshiba Tecra 8000. It is a PIII 500 and has a NeoMagic Magic Media 256AV Chipset with 3D acceleration. hen I load the demo it fires up OK and before I can hit OK on the screen it crashes and indicates 'unable to start 3D graphics'. Toshiba say it should have no probs with most 3D games and I have the latest drivers. Any clues?

Schrullenhaft

Thanks for above. You're right, it is 2.5M, a bit crappy for this kind of thing I suppose, maybe I'll have to stick to the deskstop and just get bored if I'm in a hotel! I only wondered becuase the minimum specs indicate a with and w/o 3D card and being a 500 I thought it'd be OK.

It's running Win 98 and DirectX 7, maybe 8 will help. When I run the test of 3D in the DirectX programmes it only runs the software mode. I presume it must only have that by default (which explains why I can't find anywhere to switch to software mode). I'll give the lower desktop/res a shot later. Fingers crossed.

The Tecra spec is:

PIII 500/100M; 64M RAM/256SDRAM; 2.5M SGRAM Bit Block graphics accelerator. OS is Win 98 and it has DirectX v7.

I dare say it is the G/A that is the stumbling block but I just find it strange that the Spec page of the CM site indicates a P200 without graphics card and only 32M RAM (was this overly optimistic)?

The demo (still waiting for full game) defaults to 640x480 wen it starts and I can see the green box OK but no mouse pointer. I am using windows standard pointer and as I move the mouse I get an occasional flickering of it near edges of the screen but I cannot get it visibly over the OK check box to hit it. Pressing 'enter' doesn't work either.

It just surprises me that a system which is higher spec than the minimum won't run it. Demo is v1.0 frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 02-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 02-10-2001).]

I've seen some occasional "weirdness" with the DirectX resolution selection screen on some video cards. The may be because of CM's manipulation of resolution and refresh rate doesn't always "jive" with some cards and their drivers.

Is your mouse driver installed as a "generic PS/2" or are Toshiba's drivers loaded up for your touchpad ? I don't know why the mouse won't track over the resolution selection (and the Enter key doesn't work for it). Turn off "mouse trails" if you have them turned on.

I have looked under 'device manager' and can't even see 'pointing device' listed? There is s generic PS/2 on under Mouse driver but nothing else anywhere? I would have thought there should be. I may try plugging the mouse in to see if that works?

I may have to give this up as a bad job. It defaults to the 640x480 setting on startup anyway (a bit crappy really). A freind of mine has a non big name laptop with an 8M ATI Rage chipset and that runs it fine? So much for named brands eh?

To speed up the CM graphics on the laptop, you could try my Fastmods set. It's designed for exactly this kind of hardware and require very little memory compared to the original textures.

If you have a Hotmail or MSN account you can download it from the site below, otherwise I can mail it to you.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Webmaster of Combat Mission för svensktalande, a CM site in Swedish. Norwegians, Finns, Danes and Icelanders are also welcome as members, others can still enjoy pictures and downloads.

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Detta har kånntrollerats av Majkråsofft späll-tjäcker.