G4 / GeForce2 Graphics Problem

Zozimus

I recently upgraded my computer from an iMac (ATI Rage, 8MB VRAM) to a G4 (Nvidia GeForce2 32MB VRAM). On the iMac, Combat Mission ran well, but with little detail; the improvement when I installed it on my new G4 was astounding. However, on large maps with a lot of units present, the sky is missing and some terrain tiles (generally marsh and tiles adjacent to water) are replaced with purple blobs. I have tried deleting the Combat Mission preferences file several times but with no effect. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Zozimus

Unfortunately there are no fixes for some of these display problems (to my knowledge) at the moment. NVidia/Apple will need to release some newer drivers (even newer than the update that comes with OS 9.2.1) to fix this issue.

I think BTS has been experimenting with texture sizes for the sky, since that may be part of the problem. But since this isn't an issue on the PC side for GeForces it looks like a video driver update is called for.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> However, on large maps with a lot of units present, the sky is missing and some terrain tiles (generally marsh and tiles adjacent to water) are replaced with purple blobs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zozimus, do you mean that you had the sky in some of the maps? Or do all maps have the black skies?

If you do have the skies working in some of the maps then that is more than most of the geforce owners here get. We might need to look at your drivers to see if we can take it from there.

I was also a victim of the GeForce/Mac bug and after busting my brains trying to get it to work I finally ended up getting a radeon. Everything is peachy now.

Gyrene

We've tried changing the tile sizes, resolutions, color depth (256 color really looks bad), all to no avail.

If anyone has any suggestions, more than happy to try (at least Makjager is! ;) )

as others have said, new drivers are needed from Apple/Nvidia. Hopefully they will release them (and soon!)

sorry for the bad news on this.

Some good news: look for a new version of MCM3 soon (week or so), which will place the winter graphics in G10, 11 and 13, almost tripling your mod fun.

or so I hope. It's in test now, we'll see how it works out. I dont have time to do other things that I would like to do, but it'll help get past the winter mod size limit

best,

d

ave