Game won't display

When I start up the CMBB demo, I can see the game is trying to display the start-up screen but the resolution and display is all messed-up. I've tried all the recommendations on the support site and they don't work. Running WinXP and GeForce 4200Ti card. Can't remove the WinXP hotfix so if someone can tell me how that's done, maybe it will work. If I can't get this demo working, I'm not forking out for the game and I'd love to be able to get into CM.....Anyone, help?

Thanks

Aston

I'm assuming that you can see the screen, but it's 'shredded up'. This can be a case of selecting a resolution with a corresponding refresh rate that is too high (sometimes resulting in multiple images horizontally across the screen).

Do you have a 'Prefs' file in your CMBB Demo directory ? Delete it and when you launch CMBB the next time it should prompt you to select resolutions. It does this by displaying each resolution and refresh rate with an info/selection box on screen. It will start out at your current desktop resolution, but it may be at a vertical refresh rate that is higher than what you're currently using. In fact it could try a refresh rate that is beyond your monitor's capacity at your current resolution (it gets the possibly refresh rates to try from the video driver). If you can't read what is on the screen, then don't select it (i.e. - don't hit the Enter key, etc.). The resolution selection process will automatically go down to the next lower refresh rate at the same resolution until it hits 60Hz and then it will start at the highest refresh rate for the next lower resolution and repeat the process all over again. If you can see the info on screen, you can click the 'skip' button to go to the next resolution/refresh rate, otherwise just leave it alone and within 5-10 seconds the resolution/refresh rate will automatically change.

Thanks, I have just tried your suggestions but unfortunately they don't seem to solve the problem. As I switch down from 85 Hz through to 60Hz, in both 32-bit and 16-bit color, the problem only seems to get worse. Where I originally saw three screens, side-by-side getting 'shredded' I now have eight. It's getting harder to see each one. I did leave the program alone but then the screen just went black.

I'm back to 85Hz resolution again at 1024 x 768 in 32-bit color after my experiments. Sorry, just doesn't seem to work. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Aston

If you are getting multiple images, then there is something wrong with the frequencies your card is putting out to your monitor. The multiple images result from the monitor trying to accomodate the higher refresh rate with a slightly different horizontal frequency. There's a mismatch between what CM is putting out and what your monitor is capable of. You should see this shredding when you're selecting the resolutions. The color depth generally should make no difference to CM (though you do need to run at least 16-bit color).

What monitor do you have and does it have any 'preferred/preset' resolutions ?

Again - you need to delete the CMBB Prefs file in order for CMBB to use a different resolution. Just changing your desktop resolution means nothing to CM unless you change the desktop resolution below what CMBB has set in the Prefs file(i.e. - CMBB is set for 1152x924 and you set your desktop for 1024x768). You need to select a desktop resolution that is equal to or higher than what you want to run CM at. Then delete the Prefs file and relaunch CM. It will go through the resolution selection process, where you should be able to see if the resolution looks proper or not (the box will be 'shredded' if the game screen will be). Your desktop may be set to 1024x768 at 85Hz, but the first thing CMBB may try is that resolution at 120Hz (or whatever the driver defines), which your monitor may not be able to accomodate. If that's the case (and you see the shredding of the screen) wait 5-10 seconds and it should try the next lower refresh rate (probably 100Hz or so) and eventually it will come further down and reach 85Hz.

[ October 18, 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Many thanks for your patience. I am very happy to tell you that I got it working. I changed down to 72Hz and it started up fine. Then, went back to 85 Hz and prayed it would start, and it did. So, got to keep my original settings and have the game work. Will be putting my order for the game!