Wind blows...

Interesting question Scipio- the CMBB manual doesn't mention the effects of Wind in "The Environment" section. It does mention wind in the scenario creation part, but not what the effects are.

Under anti-tank gunnery, they mention "some" of the factors that affect AT shooting, but Wind is not listed in that partial list. So... I think we can safely assume that wind does in fact alter such shots. Even under fire and smoke, it doesn't say that wind can whip up a small fire into a large one (just that dry/v.dry ground helps it). Strange.

[ December 24, 2002, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

Under anti-tank gunnery, they mention "some" of the factors that affect AT shooting
It seems commonsensical that wind, if it affects anything, would affect mortar fire. Crews were trained to adjust but you have to wonder if accuracy suffered in heavy winds especially with less experienced teams.

Definitely an issue that could use some clarification. BFC isn't the kind of company that throws in chrome just for its own sake. (Well, OK, doodads...)

Also, while we're on the subject, the effects of the various ground conditions on shrapnel dispersion remains murky- at least in this player's mind.

[ December 25, 2002, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

Wind should affect visibility (more dust, snow, rain, etc. in the air) and all forms of fire.

At short ranges, low velcity winds should have no significant effect. However, the path of all projectiles will be changed by strong winds, and the further they travel the greater the effect should be.

I would be surprised (and modestly disappointed) if BTS didn't take this into account in the game.

ian

A dozen tests, on gridded terrain, using 120m mortars revealed zero difference between the accuracy in Still and Strong Wind conditions. Not statistically significant, I realize, but telling circumstantial evidence.

Perhaps the only effect of wind, in the final analysis, is on spreading fires and smoke dispersion. And even these effects seem mild to the point of invisibilty. I do appreciate the rustling branches, however, as an immersion enhancer. smile.gif

[ December 25, 2002, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

the only in-game effect that I know of that you can count on and actually observe (to the best of my Knowledge) is that wind speed determines how quickly smoke rounds dissipate.

I think you can be sure that on a windy day smoke rounds blow away much faster than on still days.

What else does it do?

that is the only documented effect in the game that I know of smile.gif

-tom w

Also, while we're on the subject, the effects of the various ground conditions on shrapnel dispersion remains murky- at least in this player's mind.
No crap. I'll be firing at an infantry squad in a foxhole, a shell will land right on the rim and not one man will be harmed.

In reality wind DID and DOES affect shells but only at fairly long ranges. I can remember reading somewhere about how sometimes inexperienced batteries would open up on the exact coodinates given but wouldn't factor in the wind and the shells strayed a quite a bit.

I can remember reading somewhere about how sometimes inexperienced batteries would open up on the exact coodinates given but wouldn't factor in the wind and the shells strayed a quite a bit.

Might be a cool add-on feature for 1.02. Since there are four wind conditions, you could leave 'Breezy' as the default and raise or lower target acquisition time for other three depending on distance. I think it would deepen tactical considerations a bit which is always to the good. Huh, Steve?

And, yes, I agree. A little elucidation on the part of BFC concerning shrapnel and ground conditions would be most welcome.