Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

No fog/see through buildings on Dell laptop

I have a Dell Latitude HPx/500mghz with a ATI Rage mobility chip, everything works great, no lock ups, great speed and graphics but I have no fog(rain is o.k.)and I can't see inside buildings with units in them unless I disable that function. From what I am reading I guess I am just stuck with what I have got and should be happy it works at all. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Bravehaart-

While I don’t have a solution to the problem you describe, on the theory that “Misery loves company”, I have come out of lurker status to describe a similar problem….

I run CM on a Dell Inspiron 7500 with a 8MB ATI Rage Mobility video card. The game runs great and all graphics display well expect transparencies such as fog, transparent walls, and shock waves from gunshots and explosions.

Fog does not display at all but other weather effects work fine. The gunshots and explosions display as solid white expanding bubbles and the walls of the buildings simply disappear when units move inside. Is this problem common to this video card or has anyone found a solution? At the very least, it would be useful to disable transparency so that I can see what is going on behind the white bubbles.

Any input or suggestion from this group or the developers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I am running Windows 2000 as the O/S.

I'm afraid you're both stuck with this problem. The ATI Rage Mobility chipsets seem to be lacking in features, one of which is transparencies. This is probably a hardware issue and can't be solved with drivers.

If you're willing to experiment however, there are some unofficial drivers that have been modified by a third party.

RageLTMan's Rage Pro drivers:

http://www.rage3d.com/files/drivers/rageltdriver.shtml

There's no guarantee that these will work. In fact ATI doesn't post drivers for the Rage Mobility's because they claim that they are heavily modified for each laptop vendor. So using these drivers may be a bit risky (make sure you have a working driver that you can reinstall before attempting to use these modified drivers).

For Windows 2000 I think you are stuck with what comes on the 2000 CD or is available from Dell (which you may already have):

Dell Inspirion 7500:

http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/system.asp?sid=INS_PNT_P03_7500&m=l&p=6

• 5 months later...

I read in the Forum that some of you have Latitudes and W2k? I just bought a C600 /128MB/ PIII 700 with an ATI Mobility AGP 8MB card. I get an error when I run CM. I can pick sides and once the computer displays the maps and is getting ready to show the setup map I get a "GGraphics" error in Line 711?

Have you ever seen this issue before? Any help would be welcome.

Horrido

[This message has been edited by Horrido (edited 12-19-2000).]

Horrido - Are you using either of the BETA CM's or are you running v. 1.05 ? Do you get this same problem with 1.05 ?

The BETAs are going to "trip up" much more easily than the full 1.1 release will. The BETAs have extra diagnostic/debugging code in them that may often drop back to the desktop with an entry into the error log.

Have you tried the latest video driver from your laptop manufacturer (I'm not sure who makes the C600 - is it HP) ?

MadMatt is also trying to nrrow this down and explained the tolerance issue as well.

I loaded CM off the CD and then tested the game...same error. I then added the latest BETA and got the same error (after deleting the prefs file.

As far as the video driver goes, yes I did. It is the latest Dell laptop (We are helping Dell test them). It replaces the CPx-x line of products. I downloaded the latest ATI Mobility driver and have the same error.

I'll go try and find the latest non BETA patch and see if I get the same error.

Strange thing really is that we get the error on Dell OptiPlex GX110 (Intel 810 chip), W2K Pro-SP1, PIII 866 and 700. We also get the same error on the Latitude as well???

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Horrido

O.K. I figured it out and it WAS my fault! You need to bring your machine to the latest rev. before the BETA and then add the BETA patch. I'm sure this is in the instructions but I did NOT RTFM! Man am I mad! It works on ALL the DELL machines! The error WAS saying it could not find BMP 1720 because THAT one was in the latest patch and NOT the BETA!

DOH!

Thanks everyone!

Horrido