Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Voodoo 4 Mac problem

Tony A

I can't get my new Mac Voodoo 4 to run CM 1.11, 1.12 or the Demo at anything other than 640x480 with NO anti-aliasing, on a 19 inch monitor. It works OK on FA-18 Korea. Display was 1024x768 ,85 mhz when game was loaded.

System is 7600 w/Sonnet G3 400 upgrade, 160Mb non interleaved RAM, running OS 8.6, Vm off.

V4 is in slot C. An iXMicro 8 Mb video card is in slot A, not connected to anything.

I shut off all video related extensions except 3Dfx MacTools v 1.08 , ROM 1.33. Also trashed prefs for same and CM.

Any help would be appreciated, this game deserves a better display.

Thanks,

Tony Antonovitz

Originally posted by Tony A:

I can't get my new Mac Voodoo 4 to run CM 1.11, 1.12 or the Demo at anything other than 640x480 with NO anti-aliasing, on a 19 inch monitor. It works OK on FA-18 Korea. Display was 1024x768 ,85 mhz when game was loaded.

System is 7600 w/Sonnet G3 400 upgrade, 160Mb non interleaved RAM, running OS 8.6, Vm off.

V4 is in slot C. An iXMicro 8 Mb video card is in slot A, not connected to anything.

I shut off all video related extensions except 3Dfx MacTools v 1.08 , ROM 1.33. Also trashed prefs for same and CM.

Any help would be appreciated, this game deserves a better display.

Thanks,

Tony Antonovitz

Try downloading the latest drivers. Also retrash the CM pref.

http://www.3dfx.com/downloads.htm

I believe there is an option somewhere in the software to do this, else just go there and get it.

Re: further questions on Voodoo 4

search for threads where Baboon2 is in. He wrote the drivers.

As far as I can tell I do have the latest 3Dfx drivers. Last night I installed Apple's OpenGL 1.21, and I can now run in 1024x728 with good textures. Only every time I switch back to the desktop and return to the game, the map is scrambled with tiles of crazy colors and "Big Time Software" text .

Question is , am I using 3Dfx or the OpenGL to run the game? I could live with it , now that it looks pretty good, but would like to eliminate the weirdness if I switch to the desktop to adjust the sound volume, which is maxxed out in CM.

Are you out there, Baboon 2?

Thanks for the reply, pford.

Playing, but with weirdness,

Tony Antonovitz

CM is using RAVE on the Mac and not OpenGL.

The OpenGL extension version makes a difference for some video cards and their drivers due to shared libraries or something to that effect (the 1.12 CM patch came with the latest OpenGL extension to intentionally fix a problem with some ATI Rage 128 chipsets). I don't know if the latest Mac Voodoo drivers come with a particular version of the OpenGL extension, if they do then use that rather than the latest version.

According to baboon2 the latest Mac drivers fixed the screen corruption problem when ESC'ing to the desktop (at least this was with a Voodoo 5 - so the Voodoo 4 should be the same).

On the issue of the latest Mac 3dfx drivers, my V4 card shipped with v .1.08, but now runs CM after I got OpenGL 1.21. I tried v. I.13 build 22 with CM but only got a black screen and a hard freeze, necessitating a cmd-ctrl-Power restart.

I knew 3dfx was defunct when I got the Voodoo4, but figured it had been out for a while and would be debugged. I guess it was aptly named, this all seems like Voodoo.

Any idea why the control strip will not appear while running CM?

Thanks to all who replied,

Tony Antonovitz

Quite honestly I feel your pain. I had a Voodoo 5 running CM and while being somewhat impressed with the anti-aliasing, it looks quite good really, I was not impressed with the card overall running CM. With other games the voodoo is amazing . But with CM its not great. At least for me. I found that the mouse runs sluggish no matter which mode you use AA or not. And that was a major problem for me. It was downright annpoying for me to be moving my mouse with lag across the screen while making move and playin CM. I am wrting this only to give you my honest feeling about CM and the Voodoo line of cards. I don't mean to be a downer on your new Voodoo 4, I just want to give you the facts on the Voodoo 4 and CM. No screenshots can be taken with the Voodoo 4 & 5. And the "esc" key function only works in game...so if you are not yet in game meaning on the battlefield hitting "esc" at any screen earlier then the game battlefield will result in not be able to get back to CM at all meaning you have to restart. There is also crookedness in the way CM is displayed on the screen. If you look hard (not to hard it is noticable) you will see horizontally that the display of CM is slightly (or a bit) crooked. Its not too bad, but its noticable. Cut forgetable while plaung CM

If you can live with it that then the Voodoo 4 is for you with CM. The actual graphics are amazing, and FSAA is amazing. the Problem with the voodoo card is it does not run Rave games optimaly. Or at least that what it seems. For OpenGL and Glide the card shines BIG TIME. Try Driver (download the demo) and run it in Glide. The game is phenomenal. It breathes new life into the game.

Its really a shame that 3dfx went under. They had great hardware and were ahead of everyone in th industry. They had the market to themselves, but they got lazy or somethin. If CM was made/optimized for Glide the game would look 2 or 3 times better it my opinion. Oh well. Too bad 3dfx.

BTW, I recommend the Ati radeon card for CM. ATi runs rave very well.

I believe 3dfx/NVidia have the 1.12 drivers posted on the above mentioned link for download. I don't know about the Beta that you're trying, but you may want to try 1.12 if you haven't already.

If you do a search for the user baboon2 you'll come across some of his threads about the 3dfx RAVE drivers. One of the last ones I saw from him was concerning the ESC-corruption problem being fixed for the Voodoo 5 on the Mac (while the PC users were still having the problem). You may want to email him if you have further questions (though he no longer works for the now-defunct 3dfx).

A difference to note between the Voodoo 4 and 5 is that the Voodoo 4 only has one graphics chip (while the 5 has two). This affects the number of FSAA levels that the Voodoo 4 can do (2xFSAA), while the Voodoo 5 can do 4xFSAA. 2xFSAA makes a marginal, sometimes noticeable affect in CM, while 4xFSAA makes a very noticeable improvement.

Thanks for the info, Baboon.

I am now using the 1.12 driver with 1.3.5 firmware, from what's left of the 3dfx site. It works OK except the intro film clip shows only vertical colored lines. There is no 1.13 there.

I tried a 1.13 from a link posted on xlr8yourmac but it froze on the initial black screen.

I would certainly love to try any driver you are generous enough to share.

Another question,-- what's with the tile seams that show in the terrain? Won't the AA wipe them out.

• 6 months later...

I'm a new owner of CM and love it. I'm running it on a g3/233 upgraded with a G4/400 sonnet card and a Voodoo 5 card. It also has over 400 Megs of ram. I have been experiencing freezes at mouseclicks and when background "booms" sound. Very, very odd. I have increased the game's ram significantly to no avail and run with a minimumized extension set -- again to no avail. Perhaps it is the RAVE driver. I'm using the 1.13b 3dfx drivers. Could you please send me the improved rave driver that you refer to in your message below. Thanks a lot. If you have any other ideas why the game is freezing, please let me know. It's pretty darn frustrating. I was right in the midst of battle when it froze the other day and the autosave feature saved a messed up file and I lost it totally! Grrrr! So much work for nothing! Thanks again.

Marc Weinberg

marc@asc.gov

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baboon2:

Baboon here.

The bug with the ESC key causing scrambled textures was fixed a long time ago. You need the latest drivers, 1.1.3b. And I've got a RAVE driver I can give you that's even better than what's in 1.1.3.

You can look forward to CM running quite well on a Voodoo 4.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:mad: null