Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Win98 SE Shutdown Hang

Hi,

Since playing with beta 24 I have noticed that my machine refuses to power off completely after I have been playing.

Is anyone else having shutdown problems with b24?

I know Win9x is a pain when it waits for all network connections etc. to drop before it will shutdown. Could b24 be corrupting the TCP/IP network stack somehow (just guessing).

My PC will only hang if I fire up CMBO otherwise it shutsdown 100% no problems.

Dave

Guest Madmatt

Hmm, I never saw any shutdown issues related to Combat Mission before but I have some ideas.

Run a full scandisk on the harddrive that Combat Mission is running from. Next go ahead and defrag it. Windows shutdown hangs are often caused by either orphaned or crosslined files Windows doesn't know how to handle.

After you have done that go ahead and delete the contents of your Windows/Temp folder. Thats always just smart housekeeping.

Try it now and report back your results.

Madmatt

Ok,

I WAS pretty sure I could reproduce the hang, but now I'm not - grrr I hate PC's.

I usually keep my PC pretty lean, but I did the scan, defrag & temp clean up and then played a short network game.

The PC shutdown fine, so I guess it was either something else or the clean up fixed it.

I was pretty sure that I was only seeing the hang after firing up b24.

I run a small home Lan -

Win98SE/2000 Dual Boot PIII that is the main PC.

-P200MMX WIN98 workstation.

-Win2K Server

-another Win2000 Workstation that I mess around with.

I use a Cm100 Cable modem to the net via optus @ Home. I use ONLY TCP/IP on this network and run ICS to share it from the PIII.

I have an 8 port 100Mbps switch.

I cannot host CMBO games because of ICS.

(will this ever be fixed??)

Thanks for the comments. I really just wanted to check if anyone else was experiencing this problem.

I will try and isolate it more fully and report back here if I can reproduce it consistently.

I'm now maybe thinking it was something I was doing with DNS/DHCP on the Win2k server that might have clashed with the ICS on the PIII and caused the crash...

Anyway, thanks for the prompt replies I will play around and see what I come up with.

P.S. I dont think I have EVER had Combat Mission Crash (Beta or release) smile.gif

Dave