Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Can all mods be made to work with CMMOS ?

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

1) Can existing mods be fixed so they can be used with CMMOS? If so, is anyone doing it?

2) Why would a modder not make his handiwork compatible with CMMOS ?

1) Any bmp-based mod can be CMMOS-enabled. And in a short while it will be possible to apply sound-based mods with CMMOS as well.

Gordon, who is on vacation at the moment, is the central contact point for official CMMOS RuleSets. Besides having written the underlying program, Gordon assigns the RuleSet numbers (RuleSets are one of the things that make CMMOS work). He tends to know not only what people are working on officially, but what people plan on doing once they get finished (much of it unprintable). So he's your best source of information on who's writing what RuleSet at the moment, or who's making what CMMOS-enabled mod.

The master plan, by the way, is that everything is going to be CMMOS-enabled eventually. I think one of the things that keeps some of the more obvious categories from getting done is that you may have a favorite mod and want to write a RuleSet for it, but for it to be meaningful you really have to write the Rules for all the other similar mods in that category (can't just do your favorite Tiger, have to do all of them and plan for the ones that don't even exist yet). In other words it can suddenly turn into a lot of work.

2) Writing RuleSets for CMMOS isn't that hard, but its trickier than installing CMMOS and a lot of people find that a challenge. Many Mod artists write CMMOS RuleSets, or are associated with Gordon's group. But I think a Mod Artist has enough on his hands just making the mod without having to worry about how it fits in with everything else. And it isn't really fair to expect someone to make a mod, CMMOS enable it, and then write RuleSets for everyone else's mods. So I think that until CMMOS becomes overwhelmingly dominant (which is exactly what is happening now) about half of the mods that come out will have to be converted after the fact.