Hiding tanks from airplanes

Originally posted by Liken:

I thought that if I put my tank in the scattered trees it might be out of sight from the sky, but no. So is there any way of hiding tanks from airplanes?

What is the best anti-aircraft gun for both sides?

I like the Wirblewind(Sp?) for the Axis, the Soviets I don't play.

KC

I thought that if I put my tank in the scattered trees it might be out of sight from the sky, but no.
I ran a test a couple of weeks ago, and, yes, vehicles in scattered trees seem to be less likely to become targets. There was a significant difference, IIRC.

I don't know about hiding armour but I am playing a game at the moment where my opponent's two Stukas have spotted and attacked infantry hiding in foxholes situated in the middle of some woods and infantry hiding in rubble. In all cases the infantry have not moved since they were hidden at set up and therefore have the camouflage bonus. Damn Stukas must have infra-red sights or something.

For the Germans, I think the quad 20mm gun does the best job - although nothing seems to affect the damn Shturmoviks.

I've noticed that moving plays an important factor when the aircrafts spot/choose their targets: stationary vehicles at your edge of the map seem less likely to attract air strikes than moving vehicles closer to the middle ground.

have played boriskova for fun .

spoiler (maybe)

so the first turns i have only move one of my t34.

he takes a 88 and a flak out then get destroyed.

i had move the nx t34 with a same result - all very slow and only played for testing/fun. ok it was turn 20 and i had take a look back k 2 t34 destroyed by aircraft ( i don´t have moved anything else). bah just had rushed out my hole force the ending was a surrender from the axis smile.gif (turn37)

but thats import (or not lol). the aa´s have taken both aircraft out. think not a bad thing 2 t34 against 2 airplanes.

btw nice scenario Andreas

[ December 26, 2002, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Horus ]

Originally posted by Liken:

I thought that if I put my tank in the scattered trees it might be out of sight from the sky, but no. So is there any way of hiding tanks from airplanes?

Strange, that has always worked well for me. Bear in mind not to MOVE the tanks. If they stay put, the planes will not spot them.

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

Strange, that has always worked well for me. Bear in mind not to MOVE the tanks. If they stay put, the planes will not spot them.

My thoughts exactly. I was once the Axis attacker in a probe mission: the halftracks hauling guns and carrying mortars/HMG's went forth first: all were destroyed by raging Shturmoviks, while my motionless Stug III and a Wespe in the background were left alone.

Perhaps the friendly fire bombing is a bit too much? But how would this be tweaked...in certain scenarios when there has been a huge gap in starting positions, time and time again I get bombed by friendlies.the manual says that chances skyrocket in close combat situations.

this is interesting - if the airplane knows that the combat is too close quarters, it may actually defer. However, if it doesn't then I agree with the manual. It's the consistancy of friendly bombing when the forces are hugely separated which I assume must be difficult to model.

Btw, any studies on the effect of the whole German let's make our tank a mobile tree vegetable/tree....

Putting them in Scattered Trees usually works for me. But what I usually do is have all my tanks/guns fire smoke at each other after I hear the aircraft's initial flyover engine sound (though 1/2 the time it turns out to be mine). Of course, when I play Soviets, who have few vehicles with smoke, then I just run to the trees.

I have found a couple of Crack 25-40mm AAA is best against aircraft, but a bit gamey to always use.

I too have experienced the aircrafts' ability to spot what should be completely hidden units (including my own!), which I think is unrealistic. If no targets spotted, they should either (IMO):

</font>

• Loiter for a couple turns until target is spotted</font>
  • Interdict offboard artillery, especially if being used (easy to spot)</font>
  • Interdict offboard reinforcments</font>
  • Engage enemy aircraft, if fighter</font>
  • Leave if no target spotted (attacking somewhere else) or</font>
  • Attack a VL flag (if attacker)
    </font>

Sorry, I felt this uncontrollable urge to make a list. I need help... smile.gif

cheers!

-gabe-