Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Seeking advice and testers

I'm foodling up a battle on my own, a hypothetical clash with fairly standard sides (low goals for first try and all that) I plan to have it ready to send to people later this week; as I don't have home internet I'll have to distribute it through work. I'm interested in people who will play vs the AI many times from the same side, and other people (who've not played yet) to PBEM. I'm looking for as much feedback as possible from players who don't know what the other side has, and PBEMers who have no idea what to expect.

Also: on hills, is there typically a striation of sorts for trees? By that I mean, do you usually have brush on the low slopes, scattered trees a little higher, etc? Or the reverse? Or normally heavier trees on one side of the hill?

Any advice would be appreciated!

DjB

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 12-05-2000).]

Also: on hills, is there typically a striation of sorts for trees? By that I mean, do you usually have brush on the low slopes, scattered trees a little higher, etc? Or the reverse? Or normally heavier trees on one side of the hill?

Any advice would be appreciated!

DjB

The answer is, of course that it depends - on the underlying geology -- on the strata of the rocks, on the depth of topsoil, on the rainfall in the region, and a host of other factors -- like if the hill has been recently shelled.

Deciduous trees have different deeper root systems than conifers, which is why they tend grow better in valleys and flat areas than they do on slopes.

I will yield the field instantly to a real botanist/geologist, should one appear, but I would offer you the following generalization.

Woods on valley floors

scattered trees or pines on slopes

brush, pines or nothing on crests.

Feel free to ignore or violate any of these un-rules whenever you choose.

I've always tried to encourage map makers to just go out one day and look at the land. Look at hills, trees, valleys, farmland.

Notice how streams run, following a line of least resistance. Highways will go around a big steep hill usually unless it is too far out of the way.

If they go up the hill, they wind. And paths (aka light trees, brush or open ground) are on these hills.

Examining the real thing and then translating into your mind (Humm, how would I make that look in CM?) will help a lot.

Just a suggestion. Congrats on completing your scenario.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com