How about this?

Just started playing on some pre-made maps against my brother. Boy, what a nice feature to the game. The maps that we have downloaded are very good. The game generated maps are prettey generic, but these are awsome.

What would be nice, would be a tool to look at maps without having to load a game. How hard would something like that be? Perhaps BFC could yank the engine for a viewer for download. Might also be a cool marketing gimick. What do you all think?

Kevin;

Steel_Rain,

I have considered and raised a similar feature here before: a map previewer available at the scenario/operation selection screen. As you scroll through and read the scenario/operation descriptions, a simple click will get you "in the map" like when you play the game allowing you to freely check out the map. Really, this would be the map preview function without any units or setup zones showing.

Sure, at present, you can load it up in the Map Editor. But really, if you are just reading scenario descriptions and perusing the scenarios/operations in the list wondering which one to play, you will have to remember the scenario file name or look up the file name of the battle/opertaion of interest to you, exit the sceanrio/operation list, open up the Map Editor, browse for the file name (which is not necessarily the same as the scenario/operation name you saw in the scenario/operations list), and load it up on the map preview screen. It doesn't seem too extraordinary to suggest this could all be rolled up into a single click from the battle/operations screen.

However what you have suggested is taking that concept further! A separate stand alone map previewer that reads CM scenario/operation files. I agree, it might even be a great marketing gimic to showcase the visual "beauty" of some of the variety and range of maps which get made for CM. There are some maps that just look damn impressive even if there is no action or units on it. I particularly like historically researched maps and a 3D map is probably the best kind for studying a battlefield.

Lt Bull