Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

T-34s vs. PzIII's vs Shermans

Originally posted by Andreas:

What Henri says is indeed pure speculation. There is not a shred of evidence for that, either here or on the beta board. If BTS had ever taken such a development course, me and, I am certain, other beta testers would have quit the team in disgust. I think it is very silly to make such claims when you do not have a shred of evidence to back them up.

I did say that it was "pure speculation", which does mean that I don,t have a shred of evidence except the frustration of losing 20 JS2's, SU-122's and SU-152's to a half-dozen tigers and Panthers while SU-122 shells bounced off the German tanks :( Well last night as the Soviets I got a total victory in the Jaegermeister scenario as the soviets and still had 12 tanks left when I finished, so I am forced to conclude that the above result on my second day of having the game was more incompetence on my part and less evidence of BTS favoring German tanks...

:D

I have posted an AAr on the scenario forum today explaining how I did it.

Henri

[ October 29, 2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Henri ]

after playing this game for a little over a month now i have 2 observations concerning the t34. 1) the t34 is not the "uber" tank i thought it was for the first year of the war. i expected to rule the battlefield with it like tigers did when they first appeared. this was not the case. 2) they are not the weak sister i thought they were after the first battle or 2 of playing cmbb. they are definitely somewhere in between and must be used with good tactics to be effective. you have to get them in fairly close, even against the mk3s and early war mk4s. the russians don't have the luxury of being able to stand off and pound away(against tanks) like the panthers and tigers do....

For all those that are looking for Ueberpanzer, I think that, historically speaking, there are only two tanks that could be classified as such. That is: impervious to almost everything the adversaries could throw at them from any aspect, while being able to destroy all evemyy AFVs at range.

These tanks are: the KV up to Winter '41 and the Tiger up to Summer '43. Other tanks, like the T-34 or the Panther never were able to do what their cousins did in their heydays. You'll notice this reading historical accounts and AARs.

In this respect CMBB is just fine because you can create havoc at will (almost) with KVs and Tigers in the dates I mentioned.

The early T-34 are very good tanks, although not 'Ueber' in any way. If you read Soviet and german reports you'll notice that the favourite tactict was to look for engagements in rather open terrain and try to keep the range around 1000m or so. If you do this you'll be able to slaughter Panzers while being almost untochable. This until the later StugS and Pz-III & IV variants shows up. But this is quite historical since, as I have already pointed out, the diffusion of AFVs armed with the long 50mm and 75mm guns ended the technical inferiority 'feeling' of the Panzerwaffe in the East.

I still think that some weapons are slightly overmodelled, thus resulting in a performance vs. the T-34 a little above what could be expected. (Namely the 37mm and short 75mm rounds have a performance boost resulting from the fact that in the first case the large HE filler was not taken into account, and in the second case that the round was considered to be on par with the Pzgr.39 while it is an hybrid K.Gr.rot Pz.)

Regards,

Amedeo