Purcahsing units and the terrain black hole.

Just started a PBEM game where a purchased a couple of anti tank and infantry guns, When I was presented with the map I found that it was not suited to these types of weapons. Does the lack of a map preview not annoy anyone else?

I hear that CM:BB will solve this by allowing user generated maps to be used for quick battles, this will work but players will quickly become used to the best maps and they will then not be fun to play.

What I would like to see in the next version is the ability to buy your units in the set-up phase, i.e. drag and drop from a purchase bar of some sorts. You could add in things like 1 extra point for foxholes, extra cost for dug in camoed tanks (i.e. extra hard to spot extra hard to kill +10% cost). You could even have the option of paying say 100 points to demolish a bridge on the map (if it had one) when on the defence.

Ah well lets see if I can successfully use this infantry guns at a range not exceeding 50m.

SpazManOught:

I hear that CM:BB will solve this by allowing user generated maps to be used for quick battles, this will work but players will quickly become used to the best maps and they will then not be fun to play.
What qualifies as "the best maps" ? Certainly, some maps will become standards: historical terrain of famous battles, mirror-image maps for ladders or whatever. But what's to stop you from auto-generating and maybe then tweaking a map, sending it to your opponent for approval, and then incorporating it into your game? That way, you both have a peek at the terrain and it's still not something you've played before.