Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Scenario compatibility cross platform Mac/PC . . .

I made a scenario and posted it here for some people to play. (The Eagle has Landed.)

One of the people I sent it to emailed me back saying he could not get his CM to recognize my file.

We both are using version 1.12. He's using a PC and I created my scenario on a Mac.

He says that when he recieves my email with the attached scenario file it has a ".bin" ending to the file name (instead of .cmb). But when I send the file, the attached file still has the ".cmb" at the end of the name.

What is this ".bin," and why would the simple act of emailing the file change the file name? And further more, why can't this fella play my scenario?

Any idears?

KFS

bin is the Stuffit encoding performed in sending the scenario by your email software. Have your tester download the free Win version of Stuffit Expander from Aladdin Software, which they can find here: http://www.aladdinsys.com/expander/

Another thing you can do is use MS Outlook which most MSWin users have fewer problems with. MSWin is a little more difficult to configure to deal with files that are a little unusual. This is partly because they have the bulk of the market they can ignore the files created by Mac software because they assume a MSWin user will be dealing with another MSWin user and their associated files. I have also had this problem, even when I use my Hotmail account, you'd think MS would make sure it encodes things correcty for its main users. Hope that helps. Good luck

hi jon,

i'm downloading the expander software now, all being well i'll be playing your scenario before the night is done!

thanks karl for the info, it all fits into place now. figured the file had been more than renamed, just couldn't work out how or why.

btw- it dosen't surprise me at all that MS does things the way it does... but thats a little OT for this place!

ben.

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: chuckle ]

the Mead name is relatively common in certain areas, the spelling does vary a bit (meade, meed, meede) and comes from the custom of taking a surname from the occupation. In this case makers (meaders?) of mead the nectar of the gods if someone around here's sig is to be believed. The Mead's in my family are English (big surprise there) and originally hailed from the area around Greenwich England. They came to America before the revolution and setted, Greenwich, Connecticut, later members moved into the Ridgefield area (just a few mile us the road). They were farmers in that area until the early 1900s. I am sure some members of the family did leave as Tories and wandered into the great white north :D . Our branch of the family sort of petered out in the CT area. My own family (watered down with Hungarian, German, and Swedish immigrants from the 1900 immigrations) moved to Vermont. I have since wandered with my wife back through New England, to California (for school), and now beautifull Grand Rapids , MI (bland vapids...) tongue.gif So there is the family history in one para...

I hope that the stuffit works for you. Good luck