Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Internet Explorer upgrade?

Apache

I am running Win98SE and IE5. I print quite a lot of stuff from the CM site and I understand the IE5.5 upgrade contains a lot of printer friendly options.

I have IE5.5 (free on a computer mag disc) and when I tried installing it I had to revert to previous version and then re-install outlook express because I couldn't get into all my saved e-mail messages.

When I installed 5.5 I simply wrote over v5. Should I uninstall 5 first, download it from MS or is there another way to do it that doesn't trash my e-mail?

Also, if anyone is using 5.5, is it actually worth upgrading? I am conscious not to upgrade everything all of the time in case I mess up the system.

I'm not sure how fast your connection to the Internet is, but you may want to try a "Windows Update" instead of attempting to install IE from the CD. Running "Windows Update" should lauch IE and take you to Microsoft's update site (I assume that they're localized FTP servers). I'd suggest downloading the IE 5.5 first, rather than the defaut "Critical Updates", since the Critical Updates are specific to each version of IE.

Unfortunately the IE 5.5 update is probably somewhere just under 20Mb, which can take quite awhile with some of the slower connections.

As for trying to install IE from the CD, I'm not sure what to recommend. You shouldn't have to uninstall IE 5.0 (and I recommend NOT uninstalling it) to upgrade to 5.5. I don't know if you would have to perform an "import" of your old mail with the install from the CD. The update from the Internet should preserve your Outlook email to my knowledge.

Originally posted by Apache

Also, if anyone is using 5.5, is it actually worth upgrading? I am conscious not to upgrade everything all of the time in case I mess up the system.

There is not much difference between the two and from what I read, most people prefer IE 5 over IE 5.5