Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Crackling sound in version 1.05

Ocean

Hello,

I am using a PII 300 with 95MB RAM and a Voodoo 3 3000. When i play, i hear the birds chirping and the battle sounds, but I also get this crackling static sound as well, that I know isn't part of the game. i didn't get this problem in the demo. Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks,

Ocean

The full version is utilizing 44kHz sampling instead of 22kHz sampling for the sounds. There is a possibility that your sound card is choking on these WAV files. What sound card do you own and have you updated the drivers ? Do you know if your sound card shares an IRQ with another device (this will typically happen with PCI sound cards) ? Do you still get this problem with the crackling sound if you turn off ambient sounds (Shift+S and go through the options) ?

I had some problems with that, and I had to go into my Multimedia settings from the control panel and make sure that the default device was correct.

Turned out that after I installed Quicktime, the default device for sound had been modified. After switching it to the preferred device, SB Live, everything returned to normal.

Also, the Demo uses 22Mhz for sounds and the full version uses 44Mhz. Not sure what effects that might be having on your system.

Don't know if this will help, but I hope it does.

Schrullenhaft beat me to the punch....

[This message has been edited by ACTOR (edited 10-20-2000).]