Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The cause for my graphic problem

Scipio

Only for the case that my thread on the 'great' messageboard stays unnoticed.

When textured objects come in sight CM starts to download graphic data from my HD. Because this takes a moment, the games 'stumbles'. I tested this with installing an old and slow HD, copy CM on it and started - the problems was the same, but much strongher.

I tested my HD, and checked the results with specifications of IBM as shown on the homepage and must say that my HD is working with 38 MB/s at highest performance for an IDE harddisc.

So, my question is now something that only BTS can (and hopefully will) answer. Is it correct that the graphic datas are loaded from HD during the game? I thought they are loaded in graphic or main memory before the scenario starts, or what means the message 'Loading 3-D graphics'?

You mentioned in your earlier post that the screen moves without problem via the keyboard, but when you use the mouse to "pan" around your system "stumbles".

Have you tried a non-wireless mouse ? Are your mouse drivers "generic" or are they Microsoft's drivers that come with the mouse. I'm not sure what features you may lose by just using generic drivers instead, but you may want to try that.

Are you using FSAA ? That's probably going to slow down your display, despite how fast your computer is. You may want to disable or reduce your FSAA settings and see if this speeds up your scrolling around the screen.

I'm not sure about the about the hard drive activity that you're seeing. Which version of Windows are you running ? You say you have anti-virus programs disabled, but do you have anything else loaded up ? A Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring up a list of apps that are running. While minimizing the number of programs that are running (other than Explorer, Systray and anything that is necessary for your video, sound or storage), there can still be "performance vampires" in the shape of VXDs that get loaded up for devices and other applications. To get rid of these would require uninstalling the drivers or programs themselves.

Lastly... you may be expecting too much performance from CM, even with your setup. FPS may have quite a bit of detail, but I don't think that any of them have as many textures as CM will in a big battle. In addition to that many FPS's use OpenGL, which doesn't have as much "overhead" as DirectX (which is a larger API to my knowledge).

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 01-21-2001).]

I have forgotten to refer to my 'What I'm doing wrong?' thread on the other messageboard. I have already checked everything possible, from drivers to settings, BIOS-updates, new installations of windows etcetera etcetera.

No, I'm not expecting to much, cause I've the the problem also in 640x480 - on 1 GHz machine with a Geforce 2 GTS /64MB.