How long does a TCP/IP game take?

the couple i've played with my brother went pretty quickly and for a 30 turn game it lasted no more than an hour

course that was because we basically played by an unwritten rule between us which was wrap up your move w/in 30 seconds of the other side completing his move

this led to things moving along pretty quickly because we were really just testing out how easily an IP game was to set up and how well it would run - i'm happy to say it was easy to set up and worked flawlessly

i suspect if both sides actually gave some serious thought to each move it would slow down substantially - but then if you set it up with time restrictions for each move that you both agree upon, you can pretty much pre-determine how long a battle is going to last smile.gif

It depends of course on the number of turns and the size of the game. And on the setting of the time limit...

For a 1000 point game a 10 minutes timer is very generous, a 5 minute timer is doable (you got spare time for most turns, and are running short on some). If you go for 25 turns you would spend between 250 and 125 minutes, that is 2 - 4 hours.......

In my experience that is about right for a 1000 - 1500 point game, including buying and setup. I usually set the timer to 10 minutes, but with the understanding that this time is almost never used fully. You can also set a timer to 5 minutes, with an agreement to pause it when needed (setting no timer is also possible of cousrse, but it is a nice added pressure, even if you can stop it when needed).

Bertram

My friends and I often play 2 on 2 over TCP/IP, and on average it takes 3 hours for a 1000 point ME. Sometimes it takes even longer because the two that usually end up working together argue about EVERYTHING.

Conversely, one's point of view will win out, commit the forces, and then the platoons meet heavy resistance when they cross over the open ground that "should" be clear to run across ;) . Surrender usually occurs a few moments later.

~Marty

Not sure if it's because I'm still a novice or not, but even games against the AI are taking me a helluva long time to play.

I believe part of it may be getting used to the numerous moves it takes me to make contact with the enemy (constantly creeping forward, bit by bit), trying to gauge LOS. I often find myself half way through a game, without having made any contact with the enemy at all. This leads to rushed tactics at the end of games.

Did others experience this only when first becoming familiar with the game, or does it stay consistent regardless of experience level? I couldn't imagine playing TCP/IP because of the time required to play, but will eventually try PBEM.

I purchased the CM bundle of BO and BB, but won't began playing BB until I've played BO a lot more. I have read the list of enhancements however, and the new command 'advance to contact' sounds like it may have been created to help speed up things, without throwing caution to the wind. Is that correct?