XP resolution size

Hans

Edit - I didn't look at the title of the thread.

You're going to need to provide more information about your computer, such as the video card and driver that is installed.

From the sound of it your video card isn't being recognized by DirectX. This can either mean that you need to reinstall your video drivers or DirectX or possibly both. Unfortunately I don't know of any installers for DirectX under Windows XP (though reinstalling DirectX is rarely an actual necessity).

[ August 29, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

You're going to need to provide more information about your computer, such as the video card and driver that is installed.

..AGP Card Gainward GForce Ti4200 128mm DDR

..(that is what was requested but I don't know how to verify that is what was installed)

..XP operating system

From the sound of it your video card isn't being recognized by DirectX. This can either mean that you need to reinstall your video drivers or DirectX or possibly both. Unfortunately I don't know of any installers for DirectX under Windows XP (though reinstalling DirectX is rarely an actual necessity).

..Yeah I don't think you can, how can I check on what video card is actually installed?

..Thanks

I suggest running the DirectX diagnostic and this should tell you a couple of things. Go to the Start Menu > Run > type in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DXDIAG, this should launch the DirectX Diagnostic. Go to the Display tab and in there it should tell you what video card DirectX recognizes. There should also be three settings for DirectX. Usually you don't want any of these disabled (not with a GeForce4 Ti4200). Run the DirectDraw and Direct3D tests and see if they pass.

If the DirectX tests don't pass or too may items are disabled in the Display tab, then you probably need to reinstall your video drivers. If you haven't installed video drivers under Windows XP, then that is probably why you can't play CM. Windows XP can run many video cards up to 32-bit color without the manufacturer specific drivers (the video card is often identified as 'VGA Save'). Windows XP has built in support for the GeForce family (using v. 12.40 drivers), but they won't suppport anything beyond the GeForce 2 family for 3D - this includes your video card.

I suggest downloading the latest WHQL driver from Nvidia - v. 30.82. DO NOT install the latest 40.41 drivers. The FSAA feature doesn't work in CM right now (another buggy driver from NVidia).

Based on the dxdiag etc I loaded in the Nvidia - 30.83 drivers - success, I could set the resolution and everything looked fine.

If I do a quick battle the computer screen goes white with yellow dots in a wavy pattern after about 20 seconds of setup!

Help

And thanks for the assistance

You loaded 30.83 drivers or did you intend to type 30.82 ? The 'white screen with yellow way dots', is this the entire screen in CM or just certain sections ?

Did you have another video card in this computer before the GeForce4 Ti4200 ? Did you uninstall its drivers before installing the GeForce ? Did Windows XP come with this computer or is it something that you've 'upgraded' to ?

Sorry no I meant 30.82

Its the entire screen with two blue lines where the mouse is.

No new computer w/ XP with new video card, there was a VGA.Dll - should I uninstall that (how does one do that?)

In reading the posts here it seem XP and Nvidia has problems. I have no problem in replacing the card with one that will work. Is there one noted for working with XP and CM? This computer was purchased for the sole purpose of playing CM so I'm willing to do what ever is necessary......with one day away from the CMBB demo....feel my pain

Hey thanks for the help

Where are you reading 'vga.dll' ? I wouldn't suggest deleting this file.

With the 30.82's there should be no problems with WinXP. People are dredging up old posts were the drivers before the 27.xx/28.xx series had problems with 'white transparency'. The drivers that come with Windows XP are based on the 12.40's, but they don't work for GeForce 4's (and probably don't work for GeForce 3's either).

I'd suggest staying with your current video card since others have driver problems or are missing features in CM.

Did someone set this computer up for you ? Is it a name-brand computer or something you purchased from a local retailer ?

I'm not familiar with the particular problem that you're seeing. Basically the 2D screens (where you select the scenario and other properties) are OK, but once you get to the 3D screen within 20 seconds the screen will go completely white with yellow wavy dots, but there'll be blue lines where the mouse cursor is at.

You'll probably need to uninstall your video drivers and then reinstall them. But before doing that we need to know more about your computer (motherboard) and where you got it (since some software drivers should have been installed already).

Hi

Okay. Its a custom made using: a motherboard installed in the system is Asus P4B266

SE.It's manufactured by Asustek. The graphic card is

made by Gainward using GForce TI 4200 chipset with 128 MB DDR memo. It was assembled in Dubai.

I will reinstall the 30.82

Again thanks for the help!

Hi

reinstalled the 30.82 nvidia drivers, got the same error as before but this time it shut down the machine. It did generate a windows severe problem report that stated it was "a driver trying to do a drawing operation"

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out a way to save the report as it was sent to Microsoft and disappeared.

H e l p!

The P4B266 is based on the Intel 845D chipset, which Windows XP should automatically identify (to some extent). However you may want to download the Intel Chipset drivers v. 4.00.1013 since they might help with some issues.

What version of the motherboard BIOS do you have ? The latest version is 1009, though looking through the changes I don't see anything in particular that might suggest a fix to your problem. You can get some of the latest ASUS updates for your motherboard here (the ASUS USA site) (though the German site would be closer to you). If you have the motherboard manual it has some information on using the ASUS flashing utility to update the BIOS.

With the current 30.82 driver installed have you repeated the above DirectX Diagnostic tests to see if the drivers are working properly (to some extent) ?

Are you having problems doing anything else with your computer or is it just CM that is having problems ?

The first thing I suggest is that you disable any anti-virus programs or any other utilities you may have running in the background (sometimes seen as an icon in the System Tray). We don't want any software interfering with the rest of this process.

Next you want to uninstall the NVidia display driver. If possible set your video to use SVGA or VGA Save as the temporary display driver. This can probably be done on reboot after uninstalling the NVidia drivers, by not selecting any video driver this should get loaded (I'm not absolutely sure on this). I assume that Windows XP won't be able to fully detect your video card correctly (especially once the NVidia 30.82's are removed). So hopefully this method will get you to a basic VGA driver.

After this install the above downloaded Intel Chipset utility. Hopefully it will possibly fix your issue here with updated AGP drivers. However I don't believe that there are truly significant differences between what XP supports natively and what these drivers will provide. After the Intel drivers have been installed (and you've probably rebooted), now you can reinstall the 30.82 drivers (you have downloaded the version for Windows XP).

Does your motherboard come with the bulit-in CMedia audio chip or are you using a separate PCI sound card ? Have you updated the drivers for the sound (you can get some of the latest ones from the above listed ASUS site) ? However I don't think that your problems stem from some sort of audio issue.