Still playing BO?

I still have BO.

Actually, I have not since CMBB arrived. I am getting the itch to though, both to experience that front again, and to compare and contrast the games.

Oh, and I would vote definitely on the combo pack.*

*BTS paid me to say that. No, they didn't! I would say that even if CMBO was an inferior game (which is isn't) just to have both options. Not to mention that the original will someday be worth millions.

For me it is better to play a finished game which is declared dead from a developer maintainance standpoint.

Good God, man, just when I thought it couldn't get any lower. Have you no shame? Sorry....couldn't resist tongue.gif

[ December 04, 2002, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: Jack Arilliac ]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was playing CMBO until we ditched it in the Nordic tourney. So I am only playing CMBB now. What do you think about this: when CM3 comes out from Battlefront will there be these kind of polls in the CMBB forum? Maybe some diehard Finns will keep to CMBB but I think ther will be only few, if any, others sticking with the older game.

-TNT-

Got both, been playing CMBO almost since it came out and CMBB since it came out.

Trying very, very hard to like CMBB but it just is not as much fun for me.

So, I play CMBO 70% of my games and CMBB 30% of the games. Interestingly the 30% of CMBB games occupy about 70% of my alloted playing time - another reason I don't like CMBB - it's so slow, don't move more than 100 meteres, then rest a couple of turns otherwise your troops get tired, poor things - boring !!!

I recently purchased the bundle pack and have only loaded and played CMBO. I wanted to start off with it, and then later move to the new graphics and tactics of CMBB.

I have followed the advice of others here in the forums though and downloaded some mods to enhance the graphics of BO.

Both, though I'm starting to lean back towards CMBO since there's so many good CMBO scenarios I haven't tried. I'm sure I'll get into -BB more as I try more of its scenarios, though I seem to relate to the Western Front a lot more. The Soviets are cool but I get this "push everything thru the meatgrinder" mentality when I use them.

I know there isn't a chance of this happening but I would love to see BTS go back to CMBO and put the CMBB engine in it. It just seems more realistic when a tank continues to slam shells into an enemy tank until it sees the crew bail out. I also much prefer how a squad of troopers caught with their pants down get literally wiped out by hidden squads/machine gun nests etc. Any opinions? I still play and enjoy CMBO but it doesn't seem as realistic as CMBB. I will say that with al lof the great mods that I've downloaded over the years, that my CMBO looks just as good as my CMBB game.

i bought both about 3 or 4 weeks ago

only installed cmbo (so as to basically force myself to play it first)

it's been a total blast

i've mostly been playing the AI - in fact, just finished playing chance encounter (a classic small battle imho) as the germans - it was really quite amusing to work out the tactics of combining the shreks with the stugs to defeat the 5 shermans

i've also started a couple PBEM's and played a couple IP's with my brother (bought him both games for x-mas and he opened it basically the minute it showed up) smile.gif

all in all, i'm finding cmbo the most entertaining game i've played in years - and at this rate it may take me a year to get around to installing cmbb - i guess at some point i may break down and check it out - but honestly, i'm having A LOT of fun in europe smile.gif

[ December 13, 2002, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: easytarget ]

I still am playing both. I started with CMBO and started modding with CMBB. I'am working on some mods for CMBO, and to be honest it seems easier to mod the CMBO tanks and such then the CMBB, strange, I guess it's just how I think about modding, who knows

Still playing CMBO,in fact I'm about halfway through Hastings Howards at this time.Really enjoying this scenario,using Magua's Normandy terrain along with the Utah Beach mod and it looks pretty darn good.Got the new CMMOS 4.02 working and have d/loaded all of what's available for CMBB and actually the CMBO/

CMMOS compliant mods as well(thanks for cable).Just haven't found the time to start a CMBB scenario yet but it looks pretty good from the little I've played.CMBO will always be played by me with all the great scenarios available.Why quit?

What spec computer do you fellas have that will bog down doing BB? Just curious. I have a 1.2 T-bird, 512 DDR, Geforce4 ti4200, Win98 OS. Is that going to be good for CMBO and BB? I have CMBO on it's way to me and figured I had enough grunt to upgrade that game with the better detail add-ons available. Am I mistakened?

:confused:

[ December 21, 2002, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: RA ]

RA,

My cpu is HP Celeron 566mhz, 191 MB RAM, only 12MB video that is shared on the MoBo. For CMBO I use all hi-res mods (i.e. vehicles, uniforms, etc.) except for terrain, which can really hog memory since there are so many terrain tiles on any map. Small battles are find and big ones (i.e. ME w/ 8000pts each side, 30 AFV each side) still only take 2-3 minutes to compute.

For CMBB, it seems OK up to maybe 1000pts, and larger ones take long to compute. Battles that are only maybe 1250pts take as long to compute as those huge 8000pt CMBO battles! I don't think I could use any hi-res mods for CMBB. In fact I might load some lo-res terrain .bmp's from CMBO (they are cross-compatible) to save Vid-Memory. Esp. "Tom's Battle of the Bulge Mod" for winter battles. I don't really like any of the default CMBB terrain, it's too polished, shiny, and "nice" looking, IMO. It's still a HUGE step up from the default CMBO graphics.

Originally posted by RA:

What spec computer do you fellas have that will bog down doing BB? Just curious. I have a 1.2 T-bird, 512 DDR, Geforce4 ti4200, Win98 OS. Is that going to be good for CMBO and BB? I have CMBO on it's way to me and figured I had enough grunt to upgrade that game with the better detail add-ons available. Am I mistakened?

:confused:

Your machine will have no problems at all running CMBO even with hi-res mods, CMBO was designed for much slower machines. It should also have no problems withe CMBB, apart from the 'To the Volga' operation, which even 2.4 gig P4s and top range AMDs have problems running at an acceptable rate.

Have been playing CMBB I am sure it is more

Realistic. but last night I slipped my CMBO disk

in and played some small battles I had forgotten

how many mods I had installed, Played a few small

battles and had fun nice to hear English again.

Played British Vs German what surprised me was I

would order troops too attack a German tank and

they would go out there and throw hand grenades

under the tank. A bunch of " Metal of Honor" guys.

It may be more Realistic in CMMBB but have not

seen much of that. I like both Sims and glad I keep CMBO on my hard Drive

Will enjoy CMBO more looking for those "Metal of Honor guys.

Regards

Lane smile.gif